Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 2, 2015

Lossless file format support or lack of

Well, having set up my soundtouch with my NAS (thanks to fantastic technical support from Ruth at Bose) I find out that a supposed quality audio product does not support lossless WMA or flac files. I am stunned!! Not only did John Lewis sell me one as a response to my requirement to play lossles files from my CD archive on a drive, but that Bose just doesnt seem to understand its audience here. (Same issue is at the heart of uselss app interface and search feature which goes by track not album or artist when you search - ie thats not what serious audio consumers want, we want the facility to search by artist then album and play the tracks in the order they are on the album (and NOT with tracks in alphabetic order! - even itunes gives that)
I have seen lame suggestions that Bose will update the lossles files support "in 2015" but really, come on this is just not acceptable in a digital age with a supposed premium product (certainly a premium price) ??? I am so disapoointed, may have to return my Soundtouch and find an alternative that supports lossless.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Re: Lossless file format support or lack of

Hello vmv,
I am sorry to hear that you are running into those difficulties. The SoundTouch application at the moment supports ALAC encoded files for lossless support. We try to release updates as frequently as possible for this system, making it a constantly evolving product. A more extensive support for other lossless files should be coming by the end of 2015 in form of a software update.
Currently at the moment we support file formats listed below:

• MP3, AAC (excluding protected files)
  • M4A (including Apple lossless ) 
  • WMA (excluding WMA lossless)
  • OGG (Spotify only)

The SoundTouch application grabs the organization structure from the NAS drive to present in the SoundTouch application. Make sure that your albums are organized into individual folders in the NAS file system and that the IDv3 tags for the individual music files contain correct track # listings. 
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 2, 2015

Hello thanks for the reply. I just think Bose don’t understand your own audience here – this is supposed to be for audiophiles. How do I ensure that that the IDv3 tags for the individual music files contain correct track # listings I assume they must have as, when I go through the album search, they appear in the correct order. But they don’t when I go in through the folder approach Thanks
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 25, 2015

I was told as far back as 2013 that FLAC support was right around the corner.  2 years later we're still having this discussion.  To be honest, I don't think it will ever happen.  Seems like lip service to me just to keep people hanging on.  What's the big deal already.  Does Apple have controlling shares in BOSE?
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2016

Is this supposed to be working now?  The end of 2015 has come and gone.  And your website says you support FLAC:
https://www.bose.com/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundtouch-20-wireless-music-system.html
... go to the FAQ, question 15 of 20 "What audio formats are supported by SoundTouch® systems?"
... "MP3, WMA, M4A, AAC, FLAC and Apple Lossless formats are supported."
But it is not working for me, it only finds MP3 files.
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

FLAC support was added in a release last year.  Some users reported having difficulty getting the files recognized by the app.  A new update with our findings can be found HERE.  Thanks!
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 15, 2016

Hi, I realized that SoundTouch 20 III with latest firmware doesn't support 24kbit FLAC!!!
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 29, 2016

The SoundTouch 10 Series III with latest updates does not support any FLAC formats. I tested many various FLAC formats (8, 16, 24 bit with various sample rates) with it. It only plays MP3 and e.g. ALAC. More here: https://www.soundtouch.com/CommunityDetail?_escaped_fragment_/feedtype=SINGLE_QUESTION_DETAIL&dc=Sou...
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 2, 2015

Its quite funny seeing responses still coming in. Bose is clearly run by software geeks who dont understand music.They dont understand what an app needs to contain either by the way... Quite an irony. This forum is usless because Bose do not listen, and there is no desire to make the app at all user friendly to serious music listeners. 

NO proper lossless format support
Art work doesnt show from files imported  by itunes
No fast forward or back
Playlists doesnt function on a NAS
No ability to search  by album on a NAS (don't give me the "put it ina folder advice - done that and it just shows tracks in alphabetical order
Can't distinguish between albums with same title by different artists
No stereo pairing
Spotfy streaming only works with a premium account
Juyst awful. But my speaker now has a nice  clock ..........so that's alright then