glenn.anderson82@yahoo.com
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Max number of SoundTouch devices on one network?

I'm working on an multi-zone audio system for my home.  It will likely have 11 or 12 zones.  The SoundTouch systems appear to have the functionality and product diversity I need so, if I go with Bose, I will likely have 8 SA-5s, 2 x 300 Sound Bars and 1 Wave.

None of the documentation or videos indicate if there is a limit to the number of these devices you can effectively manage with the interface app.   Do anyone know if I'll have an issue with this number of zones/devices?

The manual does say there is a limit to the number of wirelessly connected SoundTouches but I'll be wiring them all up to the network hub.

Any additional thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Glenn

10 REPLIES 10
LFL AUDIO
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 28, 2017

SoundTouch SA-5

Hello,Community

How many SoundTouch SA-5 amplifier, can i have on my network at the same time? (zones) Wireless and Ethernet cable connection. whit control from sound touch App.

Thank you!

Re: SoundTouch SA-5

Hi there,

Thanks for the question!

Wireless, we recommend 4-6 SoundTouch systems max, as congestion and interference can cause issues.

Wired via ethernet however, there's no limit that we're aware of aside from the maximum amount of connected devices your router can handle.  I've seen 20+ SA-5s connected to a single network before without issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Re: Max number of SoundTouch devices on one network?

bump

Highlighted
GEORGzer
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

Well to be honest, considering the recent problems with the firmware, specially when it comes to multiroom usage, I would recommend to look into other systems.

Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Thank you for the answer and candor.  

PaulHarrison1874
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

I would too.  I am left with an SA-5, two ST10s, speakers (can;t remember which), and old Acoustamass sub and two cube speakers.  I have also bpought SONOS becasue of the unreliability opf the system.  Currently the 2 x ST10s have diappeared off the system, and I will have to spend time locating and reconnecting them.  Use the SONOS more now.  

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

If it were me, if you really want Bose, I'd hold off.  Right now we've just seen the introduction of the new "Home Speaker" series of products which it seems will be replacing SoundTouch and is not compatible with SoundTouch.  So far this product range has just one speaker which is about equivelant of the SoundTouch 20, and two sound bars.  Presumably, more products in this range will be forthcoming.  So far no Wave radio or a product corresponding to SA-5 has been released for this new range.  Meanwhile, Bose support for SoundTouch on the software side has never been great and it seems most of their efforts have now shifted to their new product line.  If it were me, I'd not be buying 11-12 SoundTouch devices right now when the writing is on the wall for this product line.

That said, as far as I know there's not really a direct limit of how many speakers can be on the network but how many can be played at once will be a function of bandwidth.  I've got five all connected via wi-fi and don't have any issues, and certainly you should probably be able to do more if everything is connected via ethernet cable, but if you can really get eleven or twelve going that way at once I could not say.   

Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Thanks for the info.   I currently have a Wave and one SA-5 for testing.  I've noticed a number of irritating behaviours with them and my network since connecting them.  Now I know that there is a real underlaying issue.  

Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Marty, Thanks for the heads up on this product shift.  Fortunately, the two units I have will suffice for now and I can hold off.  So we'll see how the dust settles on this.