Highlighted
CapitanoDD
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 19, 2017

Microwave interference- ST30 (?)

Why is Soundtouch 30 internet signal lost by using a microwave? I have my ST30 in a kitchen. Is there a simple fix (beyond increasing distance between units?) I am surprised by this, no other devices are affected. There should be a warning about this before you pay for a system.
7 REPLIES 7
TimDonovan
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 6, 2016

Re: Microwave interference- ST30 (?)

While I'm never one to defend Bose, given its recent (well...2 years) spate of awful software releases, this isn't actually a Bose problem. Microwaves emit a signal on the same frequency as wifi. Although microwaves are shielded to some degree, there will always be some leakage, causing wifi to drop for objects near it. 

The only way around this would be to use 5ghz wifi signal (which is a wifi standard and many routers support this)...except only the most recent Bose speakers support this (despite it being a standard for a decade). Oh wait, so it *is* Bose's fault. I'll correct myself.

Anyway, if you have the more recent speakers, try switching to 5ghz.

CapitanoDD
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 19, 2017

Thanks Tim
Did not know what frequency microwaves work on, but mine is within 2 ft of ST30, so must be the cause. To be clear, you suggest switching wifi router to 5ghz (?)...Or switch brand new ST30 to 5ghz(?).(can you even do that?). Would assume all other Soundtouch devices would need to also switched.
Fyi-- I had heard from Bose's (Manila-based) call centre (I miss the more knowledgeable USA call centre)) that their wireless system is all 2.4ghz. hmmm... Hope either solution is viable. My router is 2 yrs old, and prefer not to have to go out and spend $ on new parts. Again, Bose really should warn their customers in advance of theses kind of interference problems(or fix them). Would be more helpful in planning the purchase.

I also ran into issue w the (now obsolete) AL8 wireless transmitters I was using for my system. They interfered w the wireless Soundtouch adapters...And so I am forced to retire my AL8 system.(ugh). Not fun to turn useful items into bricks.
Any further clarifications, insights, ideas welcome.
mattius
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

If your router is only 2 years old it should have 5ghz, usually most modern routers will emit two wireless signals 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

The Soundtouch systems will connect to both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz networks.

Whilst it is not a Bose specific problem, the Soundtouch range do seem very succeptable to interfearence (poor antennas?).

5 ghz has less range but is a less crouded spectrum, 2.4 ghz has better range but can get messed up by lots of things (bluetooth, microwaves, cordless phones etc).

If you have a 5 ghz WIFI network, get the IP address of your speaker (Settings -> About -> Speakers -> chosen speaker), fire that ip address into your web browser and you should be able to tell it to connect to a different network.

TimDonovan
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 6, 2016

No problem!

According to this post the new SoundTouch 10,20 and 30 series III support both 2.4 and 5Ghz. I know my original SoundTouch does not. What router do you have?

Hello TimDonovan,

You are correct, all of our series III systems do support the 5ghz band. This is also true of the SoundTouch 300, SA-5 Amplifier, and Lifestyle 600 and 650 home theater systems.

Thank You.

CapitanoDD
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 19, 2017

Hi Tim; I have a ZyXEL VSG1432 modem free from my provider..Hmm...Specs online on CNET say it's only 2.4Ghz..So may be older than I recall. Not dual band.
I'll need to explore 5GHz option, as long as range not an issue (I've had to use a an expander to get everywhere on 2.4ghz due to weak signal, so may not work, unless I get 2 expanders).
Thanks for the ideas, and need to contact my provider to see if a router upgrade is in order. Or suffer the interuptions while microwaving anything. (Again, Bose should warn buyers re this potential risk).
CapitanoDD
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 19, 2017

Howdy Mattius
I tried your suggestion re firing in my IP address on my computer browser specific to my one wireless speaker 30 unit..And I 'sign in' but it does not me change the channel or do anything, it appears.
Maybe it has to do with my older router..To be determined when I have more time. Any other ideas..Please elt me know. Lilley I have to get a newer dual band router. (Just don't want to be disappointed w the range)