Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martin73
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 7, 2017

Multi Speaker Setup & Wifi Issues

Hi - just purchased 2 x soundtouch 10 speakers and looking for advice on how to best set up the two speakers for 2 users.

One of the speakers is in our bedroom and the other is in the living area.

Should my partner and I use a single shared account for both speakers or can should we run different accounts to enable us to have our different favourites ?

If seperate accounts how do you switch between accounts?

Early days but I've had some issues accessing the speaker after intial setup with error messages such as speaker not found - wifi signal is solid white.  I've tried re-adding the speaker to no avail. A reboot of the router did enable me to find the speaker again but I don't wnat to reset the router every time. 

Is it better to assign the st10 a fixed IP address?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Multi Speaker Setup & Wifi Issues

Hi martin73, 

Thank you for the post. I would recommend using a shared account for both.  This will allow both systems to work in tandem and play the same music if the need arises. Separate accounts would give each of you your own 6 presets but would prevent the two speakers from playing together. Some users do use one account per speaker and doing so works by each app remembering what account each speaker is on. So for example, your smart phone would be constantly logged in and able to access your ST10 while your partners phone would be linked to the second ST10.  With one account you can use either phone to access either speaker. 

DHCP lease time expiration can cause this issue with the speakers. You could either set the IP to a fixed address or lengthen the DHCP lease time to a few months to helps resolve this. Also, please check your signal strength HERE to make sure it is strong going to the speakers. 

Thank you 

View solution in original post

CentralBK
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by martin73

Hi Sean,

Spotify accesses your speaker through the internet, the speaker is linked to your spotify account and the speakers are online and can be accessed via Spotify connect.

The Soundtouch app is looking for your speakers in your local LAN.

I am using Spotify Family and have a dedicated account for my office which I use sometimes at home and usually in the Office. If I am at home I can start playing music to my Office ST20, which is not visible in my Soundtouch app at home. Spotify shows me this speaker as available.

I'll start the office speaker tonight and will have music playing tomorrow moring in the office.

7 REPLIES 7
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi martin73, 

Thank you for the post. I would recommend using a shared account for both.  This will allow both systems to work in tandem and play the same music if the need arises. Separate accounts would give each of you your own 6 presets but would prevent the two speakers from playing together. Some users do use one account per speaker and doing so works by each app remembering what account each speaker is on. So for example, your smart phone would be constantly logged in and able to access your ST10 while your partners phone would be linked to the second ST10.  With one account you can use either phone to access either speaker. 

DHCP lease time expiration can cause this issue with the speakers. You could either set the IP to a fixed address or lengthen the DHCP lease time to a few months to helps resolve this. Also, please check your signal strength HERE to make sure it is strong going to the speakers. 

Thank you 

seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Hi Brent,

Would you mind elaborating on the IP / DHCP solutions? I've been posting about this same "Speaker not found" issue for the past couple of days and I'd like to try those before I give up.

Thanks,

Sean

seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Although... does this still make sense if the Spotify app can find and play the speakers immediately?

CentralBK
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by martin73

Hi Sean,

Spotify accesses your speaker through the internet, the speaker is linked to your spotify account and the speakers are online and can be accessed via Spotify connect.

The Soundtouch app is looking for your speakers in your local LAN.

I am using Spotify Family and have a dedicated account for my office which I use sometimes at home and usually in the Office. If I am at home I can start playing music to my Office ST20, which is not visible in my Soundtouch app at home. Spotify shows me this speaker as available.

I'll start the office speaker tonight and will have music playing tomorrow moring in the office.

martin73
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 7, 2017

I assigned both speakers a permanent IP address in my router settings and also changed the DCHP timer to never expire i.e. granting the speakers a permanent lease. You'll have to find these settings yourself in your router as they vary between router makes and models.  

grk999
Collaborator
Registered since

May 12, 2015

I used to have a router that allowed 'static' IP addresses, but my latest upgraded one doesn't. (for info they were the BT HomeHub 5 then BT Smart Hub. DHCP lease time only now available as a global parameter, set to 21 days.

Some digging suggested that true static IP addresses can only realoy be set on the device itself. I havent seen that on any ST device.

Bose can you please elborate as previsouly requested?

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Yes, since our speakers don't allow for a a static IP to be assigned from within our app (like a true static IP), the only option would be to set this in the router itself. The telltale sign of a DHCP lease issue is if the speakers can't be found at around the same time interval like every 6 hours, or every day for example. If we increase the length of duration for the IP address to be assigned to the speaker itself it typically lessens the issue or alleviates it completely as it reduces the workload on both the router and the speaker. Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Thank you