Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2015

Multiple users support for Soundtouch for Cinemate 120

Hello,

Recently, I've purchased a Bose Cinemate 120, with the accompanying Soundtouch device. It's all working pretty well, but the support for multiple users seems to be lacking.

First thing I tried was having a Soundtouch account for every user, so that everyone could have their own presets. This doesn't seem to work, because as soon as I add the Soundtouch system to an account, it's no longer recognized by other accounts.

Second thing I tried was using Airplay instead, so the limitations of the Soundtouch app wouldn't be a problem. However, I've since found out the the Soundtouch for Cinemate doesn't support Airplay.

The last thing I could think of that would solve the problem was to add multiple spotify accounts to my Soundtouch account, so that everyone could sign in under the same account, but stream from their own Spotify app. This turned out to be impossible because of the limitation of the Soundtouch app to add more than one Spotify account.

Having tried all these things, I'm left with the following questions:

1) Am I missing anything regarding using multiple accounts for one Soundtouch system? And if not, will this be supported in the future?

2) Is there an estimate on if/when Airplay will become available for the Soundtouch for cinemate?

3) Will there be support for multiple spotify accounts linked to a single Soundtouch account? 

Thanks in advance,

Epps

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Multiple users support for Soundtouch for Cinemate 120

Hi Epps,

Sorry for any confusion around this. We'll try to answer your questions individually.

1. Everything you have discovered is correct. The System is designed for use with only one SoundTouch account per household. Attempting to use multiple ST accounts is not recommended, as the speaker can only be attached to one at a time.  In many cases multiple music libraries, Pandora accounts, iHeart Radio accounts or Deezer accounts can be added to the same ST account. Spotify is an exception to this because it requires use of the Spotify Connect app. (Please read more about this in our response to #3)
  2. AirPlay is not a feature on the SoundTouch adapters for Lifestyle and Cinemate products due to our licensing agreements with Apple. No plans have been announced so far about adding an AirPlay feature to those products.
  3. While only one Spotify account can be linked to the SoundTouch account, you will find that this should not be necessary in order to use Spotify from multiple users. The Spotify connect app on any mobile device connected to your Wi-Fi should be able to see the adapter and play music to it. This should happen regardless of whether the ST account is connected to Spotify or not. 

We hope this answers your questions and gives you insight into how multiple Spotify accounts can be used to achieve what you are looking for. 
Thank you. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Epps,

Sorry for any confusion around this. We'll try to answer your questions individually.

1. Everything you have discovered is correct. The System is designed for use with only one SoundTouch account per household. Attempting to use multiple ST accounts is not recommended, as the speaker can only be attached to one at a time.  In many cases multiple music libraries, Pandora accounts, iHeart Radio accounts or Deezer accounts can be added to the same ST account. Spotify is an exception to this because it requires use of the Spotify Connect app. (Please read more about this in our response to #3)
  2. AirPlay is not a feature on the SoundTouch adapters for Lifestyle and Cinemate products due to our licensing agreements with Apple. No plans have been announced so far about adding an AirPlay feature to those products.
  3. While only one Spotify account can be linked to the SoundTouch account, you will find that this should not be necessary in order to use Spotify from multiple users. The Spotify connect app on any mobile device connected to your Wi-Fi should be able to see the adapter and play music to it. This should happen regardless of whether the ST account is connected to Spotify or not. 

We hope this answers your questions and gives you insight into how multiple Spotify accounts can be used to achieve what you are looking for. 
Thank you. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2015

Hi George,
Thank you for the swift reply. With regards to your answer to the third question, I can't seem to get this to work. When I check the list of available devices in the Spotify app, it's not there. As soon as I connect the account to my Soundtouch account, it shows up, and I'm able to play. Would you have any idea why this could be happening?

Kind regards,

Epps

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Epps,

We have definitely been able to successfully use the a single speaker from two different spotify accounts in the past. Please give us some time to verify that behavior and test out this unusual use case more thoroughly on our own equipment.  We'll reply back here with more relevant details on how it works sometime tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2015

Hi George,
I've been testing a bit myself as well, and managed to get 2 spotify accounts working on my soundtouch! The connectivity did drop from time to time though, which is probably why I initially thought it was not possible. I've connected my soundtouch with an ethernet cable instead of wifi, and now it seems to work smoothly.
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Great to hear.  The connectivity could have been a network related issue and hard wiring it improved it.  Please let us know if you need any further assistance.  Thank you! 
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 16, 2016

I understand I can use the Spotify Connect App, but one of the key features of the SoundTouch is the preset buttons on the top. Now when using my account, I can set my Spotify Playlists to any of the presets. But there are multiple people in my household and I would like to split up the presets between the 3 of us. So What can be done is they can share their playlists with me and I can set them to a preset. However, the primary playlist on Spotify (by adding via the '+') isn't accessible this way because you can't share your + playlist/songs. So it doesn't really work from a presets perspective.
has anyone figured out a workaround for this?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

davfive,
We have commented about this on your separate post here.
Thank you.