Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 7, 2017

Music Library from computer not playing when computer goes into sleep mode

When I set up my Soundtouch App on the computer the dude I spoke with explained that the music will keep playing as long as the computer is turned on & open, even if it goes into sleep mode.  (When the screen turns black after nothing has been pressed on the computer for a while)  BUT it doesn't!  It's SO frustrating, because a playlist or album will only play for a few minutes & then boom, gone...until you press a key...

Is there somewhere I can go to in my settings on the comp (Macbook pro), or in the app, that will change that?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Music Library from computer not playing when computer goes into sleep mode

Hi Chaquita,

Sorry to hear about the issues with your laptop going into sleep mode.

You can disable sleep mode and disable the hard drives going to sleep by clicking on the Apple symbol in the upper left corner of your desktop, and going to System Preferences>Energy Saver.  Make sure "Put the hard disks to sleep whenever possible" is unchecked as well.

If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 7, 2017

Thanks heaps for that Brandon...I have done the "put hard disks to sleep whenever possible" and for disabling sleep mode, is it that I have to choose the 'never' - which means that the screen display stays on all the time if I leave it open?  The computer then says this may shorten your screen life & yeah obviously the battery...I guess if I'm just listening I can turn brightness down to nothing & that might help battery life?  

I'd thought that the library could still be accessed when computer in sleep mode.  

It seems like it can't tho eh?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Chaquita,

Thanks for the great questions. The computer cannot be asleep when accessing your music library via SoundTouch. However, you can let your computer's display turn off. As long as the computer is still actively running while the display is off, everything should work fine. Most computers will automatically put the computer into a sleep/hibernate mode when the display shuts down, which means the computer is not actively running in the background. It's just in a standby mode to boot back up quickly if needed. Mac computers will typically have an option to disable this default though. I will go ahead and list my recommended settings for best use for SoundTouch (within the energy saver menu):

• Automatic Graphics Switching:
    • This is your preference and will not affect SoundTouch. 
  • Turn display off after:
    • This slider can be adjusted to your preference. It is OK to have the display turn off.
  • Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
    • If you are going to have your display turn off after a certain amount of time, this needs to be CHECKED. Otherwise, your computer will go into a sleep/hibernate mode when the display turns off.
  • Put hard disks to sleep when possible
    • Be sure this is UNCHECKED
  • Wake for Wi-Fi network access
    • Your preference. This shouldn't affect SoundTouch
  • Enable Power Nap while plugged into a power adapter
    • Again, your preference. This shouldn't affect SoundTouch

Let us know if this helps! If you're curious about all of Mac's energy saving options, I'd recommend taking a look at this page.

Best regards,

Brian