Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 28, 2018

Music Library on NAS

I've got a NAS with my music collection on it. Actually two forms, lossless and mp3.

When I import the library to Soundtouch it is a mess.

- The two libraries are combined so every song is duplicated (with no identificiation as to which is which).

- Album tracks are listed in alphabetical order rather than the album order

- It is generally not very easy to play a full album

Is this just the way it is or has anyone come up with work arounds to make playing music from a NAS/server cleaner?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Music Library on NAS

Hi Krookr33

Thanks for joining the community!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but would be happy to help!

Is it possible to install a media server on the NAS drive?  I would recommend using the Plex Media Server if possible, as it should index and help organize the library.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 28, 2018

I have PLEX on the NAS.

Will the SoundTouch App use the indexing from Plex or are you suggesting I use Plex on my Mac to play music on my Soundtouch speakers?

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Krookr33

Correct, the SoundTouch app should be using the indexing from the Plex media server, as I can imagine you don't want to run your computer all day to access music.  Could you let us know which model NAS drive you are currently using?

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 28, 2018

I'm currently using the QNAP TS-243Be NAS

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Krookr33

Thanks for the reply but I can't seem to find this model drive on QNAP's site.  Is it possible it's the TS-253? 

Warm Regards

Tony A 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 28, 2018

Yes - sorry, typo

It sould say TS-253Be

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 28, 2018

I have set up a Plex servier for my music on my TS-253Be NAS.

The listings of albums and artists etc. in the SoundTouch App are much better. The only problem is the music won't play. Click a track and it goes to a screen that says "Ready to Play" and is otherwise blank.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Krookr33

Thanks for the update!  This is certainly a strange issue, and development would like to take a look at the issue.  Could you please provide the make/model of the router your are using?  Also, we would want to gather system and app logs to help determine the root cause of the issue.  HERE is a link to how to gather the logs.  Also, I will reach out to you via PM to gather your SoundTouch account information and provide a link for uploading the files.

Warm Regards,

Tony A