Daveyp1127
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

Music Library shuffle not random for Windows Media PLayer

I have had problems before with my Soundtouch 10 app and trying to play random tracks from my music library on Windows Medi Player. It was solved by a software update, and I thought everything was fine. But I have now noticed that if I choose the same starting track and hit shuffle, the same order of songs happens. This tells me that the Soundtouch shuffle algorithm isn't truley random, is this the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Daveyp1127
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

Re: Music Library shuffle not random for Windows Media PLayer

Author Accepted Answer selected by Daveyp1127

HI Brandon

I was about to try this, but was promted tonight to update my app to 17.170.82, and also update the speaker 17.0.8. Update succesful, and boom! I have proper random shuffle on my WMP database for the first time! Smiley Very Happy

8 REPLIES 8

Hi Daveyp1127,

Thanks for the post.  That's an interesting find.  If you play the same tracks at random in Windows Media player, does the same thing happen or is it a fully random shuffle?

How many tracks do you have in your music library?

Thanks,

Brandon

Daveyp1127
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

Hi Brandon

No I get a fully random shuffle if I start on the same track in WMP. It became obvious as to set up shuffle I would go to tracks in the Soundtouch App, hit one of the tracks on the first page, enable shuffle songs and then hit next. Obviously I can scan though to later in the library and I get a different shuffle selection, but it isn'y ideal that the shuffle isn't randonm.

Does the Soundtouch APP use it's own shuffle algorhythem, or does it use WMP?

cheers

Dave

Daveyp1127
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

I forgot to mention I have about 6000 tracks in my library

Hi Daveyp1127, 

Thank you for responding and clarifying. Did this start happening after you performed the 16.x update? Or has this been happening for longer? If you're unsure HERE is the procedure on how to check which version you are running. Does it happen if you run our app on both your PC and another device as well, like a tablet or smart phone? What operating system version are you running on your PC? Just to make sure it's not a software glitch, can you try to reboot your PC, unplug your system from power for 30 seconds and re-test? Let us know if this doesn't resolve it. Most likely we'll need to send it up to our software team for investigation. 

Thank you! 

Daveyp1127
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

HI

Sorry for the delay in replying. It has been happening for a year or so. The PC is running the latest version of Windows 10 (as you know you can't not update these days!), it happens on both smartphone and PC. I've started leaving the PC next to the speaker and using the AUX in so I can use Windows Media Player which properly shuffles track choice. Whilst this fixes the problem, it is obviously not ideal, and I presume not what Bose thought of when they developed the system. I have always been a fan of the Bose speakers for many years, but the software associated with their wireless speakers seems not to be up to the same quality of the hardware.

Hi again Daveyp1127,

Thanks for the update.  Can you try rebuilding your WMP music library?  If you could, please follow THESE steps.  This does not get rid of any music files, just the WMP database files (which are rebuilt the next time you open WMP).

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Daveyp1127
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by Daveyp1127

HI Brandon

I was about to try this, but was promted tonight to update my app to 17.170.82, and also update the speaker 17.0.8. Update succesful, and boom! I have proper random shuffle on my WMP database for the first time! Smiley Very Happy

Hi again,

Excellent!  Glad to hear that shuffle is working for you again!

Let us know if you have any other questions 🙂

Best,

Brandon