Highlighted
DavidBrooks
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Music library will not play when computer goes into standby

Joel, I didn't mean to suggest that the app not running is a problem. I control the ST20 from my laptop, and I close the app when I've found the stream, quite naturally (the helper and the server are still running, of course).

However, there IS a problem when the laptop goes to sleep and it's serving a file from my WMP library. Something (probably, I guess, the Soundtouch Music Server) should suppress sleep during playback, and for that I'm happy to start a new thread.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Music library will not play when computer goes into standby

Hello @DavidBrooks,

I moved your post to this thread to assist you with this issue.

The SoundTouch application on your computer can't keep the computer awake since it only has "read" privileges. This is why your music library stops working when the computer goes to sleep.

What I can suggest is to adjust the power save settings within your computer if you plan on streaming your music library from the computer for an extended amount of time. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

DavidBrooks
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Thanks for creating the thread, Joel. I don't mean to sound combative, but the SetThreadExecutionState Win32 API call, to the best of my kowledge, doesn't require any special privileges. I believe it's the SoundTouch Music Server that actually streams the audio to the device. If so, and if it uses a dedicated thread for the operation, it just needs one call to that API to prevent system sleep from interrupting it. If the server operates on the main thread, it would be polite to reset the sleep state when playback is finished.

Hi DavidBrooks,

I completely understand what you're saying and I'm not taking this as combative at all. 

This was the way the app was designed to read music libraries from the computer from the start. I have no problems relaying your feedback to development about this.

Thanks for working with me.

Best Regards,

Joel