wrightgp@optonline.net
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

Re: NEW APP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting on customer service/tech support for two days--about 40 minutes yesterday and two different tries, on my land line and cell phone.  Currently, that awful music--and the 20 minute announcement--has been going on for about 35 minutes....  You think the app sucks, well the customer service sucks even worse!!!!!

Update:  Waited a total of 2 1/2 hours this afternoon and still no one picked up. 

uranus
Participant
Registered since

Dec 27, 2016

I am returning my unit back to the store. I have wasted too much time trying to get this app to work.

jbartel1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2016

Hi Brent_B --

I assume you are a technician for Bose--at least someone in the know about fixes for this problem. Just to set a foundation; all my devices --computer, phone and tablet, were updated with the new app. My speakers, SoundTouch 10 (RSSI signal strength Poor) and Wave SoundTouch (RSSI signal strength Fair), received all their new updates. My phone is brand new (Samsung Galaxy S7 Active)--my old Samsung was incompatible with the new app. My wireless router is brand new from Time Warner Cable (Ubee 2.4 and 5 G router) -- my old router didn't seem to work in the beginning, so because of this, I changed routers. I tried everything to allow my remote devices to control my speakers--connecting by USB cable and remotely with my phone --deleting the app and then reinstalling--deleting the speakers and reinstalling, etc.. It would work for a day and then it was unable to connect--some of the devices would work while others would not when trying them simultaneously in the same location (and apart)--very frustrating. The speakers would cut out after 10 or 15 minutes at times. I tried every possible combination to get the things to work -- I have been working on this for three weeks. One last thing, the app is slow, especially when connecting the two speakers to play together.

The best solution, at this point, has been your fix --- to unplug the router and speakers, wait and then plug them back in (first the router and then the speakers). The fix worked immediately and lasted for about a day or so. Now, I can just unplug a speaker, wait, plug it back in and my remote devices will again work (I shouldn't have to do this constantly). I can't explain why the RSSI signals for the speakers are poor and fair as listed above. The speaker with the poor signal is about 15 feet from my router, while the one with a fair signal is about 35 feet away). All my other devices will show strong, or good, signal at the locations where my speakers are and work flawlessly.

I bought this Bose system less than a year ago. It worked fine with the old app--never a problem, never. With the money I invested in this system I truly do expect more. I am nearly at a point where I am going to return the system. Although the sound is great, it is not working as I was told it would. At this point, it is no better than any other radio/stereo system. I hope my ranting has helped in some way. I apologize for my thoughts not being in better order. As you might have guessed I just wrote down facts as they came to mind.

jbartel1

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi jbartel1, 

Router reboots and system reboots, although helpful, aren't a good long term solution.  Are you currently connected on a 2.4 or 5 GHz band? When you switch bands, do the symptoms change at all? Have you tried connecting the Wave via Ethernet to the Ubee to see if the issues persist? 

Thank you 

jbartel1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2016

Hi Brent_B,

I have tried both the 2.4 and the 5G and the symptoms remain.  Connecting the speaker via Ethernet is impractical given the location of the speakers in my house with the router (during my work on this problem I moved my router as close as I could to the speaker furthest away--still didn't change anything--I don't think it's a distance problem because the closest speaker, 20 feet away, has the same symptoms as the speaker 35 feet.  I would imagine that if the speakers were connected by Ethernet there would be no issue--they would be hardwired (unless I don't understand your point).  The reason I got a new router was thinking my other one (which was fairly new) didn't have the signal strength.  All my other wireless devices, e.g. phone, laptop and tablet, work fine anywhere in my home with my router, especially, where my Bose System is located.  I am at a loss to explain what the problem is other than something in the app and/or speaker upgrades.  It also doesn't sound like my problem is unique judging from the other emails I have received. 

Sorry to be a pain about this, but the system should work like it did prior to all the upgrades.

Thanks,

jbartel1

jbartel1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2016

Hi Brent_B --

I forgot to tell you one, I think, very importan fact.  I have no problem turning my speakers on at the speaker and have them play the internet station which had been playing prior.  They always connect immediatly and continually with my router when doing this even though my phone, computer or tablet can't connect with speaker. 

Hope this helps,

jbartel1

Albert5700
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 31, 2016

Dear JeffTTL,

SiriusXM Application Settings for Streaming Audio Quality on Bose Soundtouch SA-5 Amplifier

Product: Bose Soundtouch SA-5 Wi-Fi Internet Connected Amplifier

Application:. SiriusXM Streaming Music Application.

The setup: The SiriusXM App has a way to set the Streaming Audio Quality (Normal, High, Maximum). At least the SiriusXM App on my iPad and iPhone has this option.

The question: How do I set the SiriusXM Streaming Audio Quality on the Bose Soundtouch SA-5 Wi-Fi Internet Amplifier?

My understanding: I believe that the SoundTouch Amplifier has a version of the SiriusXM Streaming Music Application installed on it. The human interface to the SiriusXM App (installed on the Amplifier) is through the Soundlink Application. Therefore what I can and cannot do with the with the SiriusXM App is controlled by the Soundtouch App. Do you think I am correct?

Obviously, streaming audio quality is important. To think that there is a streaming quality setting that I cannot access based on the Soundtouch Application omitting this control on the User Interface, makes me a "warped, frustrated old man".  

jbartel1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2016

Hi Brent_B,

I am at the end of trying to get things to STAY connected between my phone, tablet and computer with my Bose Wave Sound Touch / Sound Touch 10 system. I have been working on this for weeks --installing, n, reinstalling, rebooting, obtaining a new phone, using Android and IPhone devices, etc., etc., etc. and these devices still will not remain connected with my system.  However, the Bose system will still remain connected to whatever Internet station I was last connected to (when turning it on at the speaker) -- which means its connection with my wireless router is good.  I can come to no other conclusion than the NEW APP is not working properly and shuts down/times out or whatever you want to call it after a certain amount of time.  The OLD APP worked fine from day one.  I have worked on this matter to the point where my wife says that I am obsessed with trying to get it to work -- she's right, so I am done trying.  It's taking up too much of my time.  I hate to claim defeat.

I live in western Massachusetts and bought my system at the Natick store, 02-28-16.  I hate to say it, but unless Bose comes up with a fix, I will be returning the system while it is still under warranty.  Please advise if possible.

Thanks,

jbartel1

deesen
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2016

I hesitated before deciding to post the following here but since I have very similar problems to jbartel1 decided to.

Although I love my Bose Soundtouch 20 (when it's working!) I'm now heartily sick of it. I have had it for around 8 weeks now and for the greater proportion of that time it has been telling me that it couldn't find my network. Now I'm no 'techno geek' so I suppose I might have been doing something wrong but.........! Each time I actually do get it to connect to my network it lasts only until I turn it off and then perhaps turn it on again the following day only to find, yes, you've guessed it, the network will not connect again. This has happened regularly since I bought it and I can't really put all the blame on the new app but this certainly hasn't helped.

Take yesterday as a case in point. On trying to use it on Monday afternoon I found it wouldn't connect again so, on Tuesday morning I spent 4 hours trying to get it to connect before finally succeeding on the umpteenth time. On each failed time I deleted the app and then re-downloaded it in case it had been complient in any of my faiulures and also completed a factory re-set; deleted the Bose from my IPad mini's blootooth bit and then re-installed it to bluetooth and started to load the app. The last time, it worked and connected to my network. So I messed about with the app a bit, re-set some presets (for the umpteenth time); swore because I couldn't find My Albums in the apps Spotify section and never have been able to find them on the Bose app (I could find My Songs and My Playlists- why couldn't I find My Albums?) had a bit of a listen and then switched it off to go and do something else.

This morning I got my Ipad, switched on my wifi, connected my speaker's blutooth connection, switched on the Bose, clicked on the app and, yes, you've guessed it again it couldn't find my network! This inspite of the Bose's screen showing a glowing white wifi symbol and a bluetooth symbol. So I tried the first of my pre-sets, a radio programme and it played happily. So I went to the Spotify app on my Ipad selected an album and a track and it played happily away but the app every time fails to achieve a network connection.

I really am at a loss and indeed I'm at my wits end. I live around 120 miles from my nearest Bose shop, had I been nearer my system would have been returned today and a replacement obtained. Plans are, at the moment to travel on one day next week. BUT, as I said at the start I'm far from being a 'tecno geek' can anyone see that I have been doing something that has been sadly wrong? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Dave.

SS
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Hi

I am a new SoundTouch 10 owner. Firstly I must admit that I did not experience the prior version of the app. The new version was released between when I started looking at these speakers, and when I actually got one. As such, I had to upgrade straight to the latest version opon install. I must say, I was not particularly impressed with the look or feel of the app. It looks old, is not particulary intuitive apon first use, and for my application (generally an Ipad) tends to be laggy and at times unresponsive. Looking at screen shots of the previous app, the graphics appear to be better, but perhaps it did not work in practice?

One thing I do "miss" is that the previous version had iheart radio available. The latest version of internet radio uses vTuner I believe. Unfortunately this does not seem to support artist/song information, or album art? These are available on iheart. This is a feature that both myself, and probably many others, find usefull.

Another point is re my stored music. I have my music stored in FLAC format on a Synology NAS (in Artist/Album directories. Album art is imbedded in each audio track, and each album subfolder has a "Folder.jpg" file).  When searching for artists/albums within the soundtouch app., no album art is diplayed. The equivalent Synology app "audio station" while in itself is not the pinnicle of modern design, it is certainly much more user friendly, and album art is displayed in the selection lists, making it so much more helpfull.

A final point is a bit of a gripe, but may be of use to other users. When I downloaded and tried to install the app (ver. 14.0.15.339) on my PC (win 7 ultimate 64 bit, SP1), I kept getting error messages (ie C:\Program Files (x86)\Soundtouch\ is "not a Local Hard Drive", and that Windows Installer could not run a DLL). I rang the help desk, and after just over a half hour wait (according to other posts, this seems to be a normal, or even a fast response time from the Bose Help desk!), I finally got to talk to an operator. After explaining my problem to the operator, he seemed totally flummoxed. The only thing he could suggest was that I check that my Windows updates were current (which I knew they were), and to repair my DLL files by downloading a package from Microsoft. I was a bit loathe to allow him remote access to my computer, because quite frankly I think he was just fishing around in the dark. To me it seemed more like a permission problem, but hey what would I know. After getting off the phone, I did some more searching. Finally I came across an article buried away in the Soundtouch Knowledge Centre, which very fleetingly said that Administrator privilage was needed to install the app. As such, I activated the hidden Administrator Account on Windows, and "presto" the installation went OK. Perhaps a note next to the download button, mentioning administrator privilages are required for installation, would save people a lot of time and angst?

So in short (for a longish post), I find the Soundtouch 10 speaker sound and operation to be generally very good, but somewhat let down by average interface software, and customer support that does not live up to the Bose promise.