Albert5700
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 31, 2016

Re: NEW APP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent_B,

Thank you for your response regarding SiriusXm App control.

I have long been a fan of Bose electronics and speakers. I believe that Bose Engineering underestimated the complexity of the software development task that Soundtouch is. This is typical problem for Hardware (Electronics and Acoustic) Development Engineering. Also I wonder if Bose farmed Soundtouch out the lowest bidder. Also I wonder if, for the sake of getting to market quickly, Bose has foregone testing by the user community. 

It is OK to issue new App revisions. But what is NOT OK is to provide your customers No Way to revert back to the previous version. I was lucky, I read the reviews before updating. Now I just click-on "Remind Me Later" until things get straightened out.

Suggestion 1:  Always give the customer the option to go back 1 revision of the App.

I think there is a fatal flaw in the Soundtouch Application software architecture for internet streaming services. It appears that Soundtouch puts a wrapper around the streaming app, for example SiriusXM. Therefore, my operator interface to the SiriusXM App is constricted by Soundtouch. SiriusXM spent millions on their app and are constantly updating it. Soundtouch has to constantly be upgraded or restrict user. Every time a new and better streaming app comes out (PONO?), Soundtouch has to create a new wrapper that will never be as good as direct human control of the OEM (Other Equipment Manufacturer) App. If I am correct in my view of how Soundtouch works, than I think the Soundtouch model is unsustainable.

Suggestion 2: Run an industry standard OS (iOS or Anriod) and allow download of the OEM Streaming App onto the Soundtouch device and figure out a way to provide a direct operator control to the respective OEM streaming app. Something like “remote login”. Spend Soundtouch resources on developing Bose Quality hardware control, networking, and the operator interface for them.   

Consumers who buy Bose products care about audio fidelity. Bose invests in research and uses quality components to achieve the highest fidelity in music reproduction. Streaming music services are starting to come of age and are slowly providing high fidelity audio streams. If Bose believes that streaming high fidelity audio has a market, than they have to let the user run the streaming app of their choice (i.e. open architecture) and interface directly to it. No Soundtouch wrapper allowed.

Before it is too late    

rolfhaugg@gmail.com
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2016

I have the soundtouch controller (Circular shape) and want to pair it with the soundtouch 520 and with the new app there is nothing like in the manueal stated....

explore -> settings -> system -> "connect soundtouch controller"

where is this setting in the new app?!

hmurchison
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 4, 2015

I agree with Albert5700. I think many companies underestimated how difficult the networking and UI of multi-room speakers truly is. 

I've looked at the competition from DTS Play-Fi to Heos and almost all of them struggle with delivering a rock solid product with an application that is intuitive.  Bose has taken a step forward but polishing needs to happen. 

I also think that there are a lot of consumers that truly felt that their $120 router was going to be sufficient and they're now finding out that strong wifi performance cost money. 

As long as there's no HW deficiency Bose should be able to get their software and firmware in check.

James_S
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

The soundtouch 520 isnt compatible with the soundtouch controller. The controller only connects with the soundtouch 20, 30, sa-4 amp, and the soundtouch jewel cube stereo system. 

rolfhaugg@gmail.com
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2016

Thank you James for clearing this up.

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi @jbartel1,

Would you be willing to take a call from one of the product engineers to continue troubleshooting?  If so, please private message me with your phone number, and best time to contact.

Best Regards,

Brandon

mbrisendine
Participant
Registered since

Sep 19, 2016

I know how to use the software but the new software is way more buggy than the old version they had before the itunes created bug.  The fix after the itunes bug was never really a fix but a patch.  It now connects to itunes however speaker setup, software functionality and smothness of flow have all been affected.  Those issues would be tollerable except for the fact that my biggest issue is that the speakers keep getting lost by the system.  I can't play all, but I can play a different song on each speaker.  The software just won't sync all speakers very well any more.  I can get them to work, but then 20 minutes later all the speakers are dropping out or just not playing.  If I hit a preset on the one no playing it will pick up and play but it won't be synced with others still playing.  if I go to the software and turn all of, then on again, it will pick up one or two of the speakers in sync but not all.  The NEW softare 14.0.15 need major work.  I've had these speakers for over a year and unfortunately we are all still waiting for the TRUE fix for the original itunes cripled version of long ago.  The first few months I had these speakers I was giddy.  But the last year has been nothing but frustration at knowing what they are capable of and seeing that Bose still can't seem to rewind to better times.  Very sad to see.  I'll keep they speakers, unlike all the rest that say they'll ditch them.  The do sound good, and sometimes they play.  And bluetooth works good.  I just wish they would get the sync issues and speaker reacquisition sub system fixed.

aprince
Participant
Registered since

Feb 10, 2017

I am so with you on this one. Honestly I am the owner of a web design and development company (20 years) specializing in mobile apps and this is completely unforgivable. My team could write circles around this total bs. Truly there is no excuse for such a poorly written product and to release it? Come on this is unacceptable. First I experienced the old app not working for I kid you not 6 months. And it MAKES you update. If I hadn't updated I would have been fine. Then after 6 months of nothing working ($2000 system) it started to work again after some updates. Worked fine for a few more months then BAM makes you update... enter the "new" total piece of crap app. Mine I posted on Facebook a video of, it simply starts to load the page then recycles and starts again and again and again... can you say Harmon Kardon? And Bose sound touch for sale... this is so completely unacceptable at this point. Hey Bose... DO SOMETHING!

Klusek
Participant
Registered since

Feb 21, 2017

I think that you are a little bit confused. I don´t care about the software interface, because I just want to listen radio, but after this annoying update I can´t anymore. FIX THIS!!! I am not a beta tester! This software sucks!

TimDonovan
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 6, 2016

I agree with Albert5700's point: stop investing resources in embedding Spotify etc. into the SoundTouch app. Spotify and other apps have a much larger (and I hate to say it but: better) team dedicated to making the app UI. Focus on making the SoundTouch protocol compatible so I can connect to it from within other apps.

Make it Chromecast compatible for a very big win.