Highlighted
jiac
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 16, 2019

Netgear Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work together

Our internet provider just installed a new router: NETGEAR ORBI RBR50 at our home and suddenly my Soundtouch Wave music system III is not working anymore. It used to work just fine with the old but now broken router before being replaced by the Orbi. I have already read previous discussions on this and could not find someone who was able to make it work. I am already frustrated as I've spent hours reading and reading and trying out all means and ways to get it to work to ano avail. Please help. Here are some key details:

• I am able to access the router login successfully.
  • 2.4GHz Channel: AUTO
  • 5GHz Channel: 36
  • Security: WPA2-PSK [AES] (One guy said selecting this option made his soundbar work. This is my selected option and still it doesn't work for me). 
  • I have the latest Bose Soundtouch app on all my devices. I have tried countless times to install via wi-fi and usb connection. All failed. They cannot find the speaker.
  • I have directly connected the Soundtouch to the Orbi router via ethernet cable and I was able to make the soundtouch work successfully. However, this is not a solution I'm looking at as the router's location in my apartment is not near where I need to place the soundtouch speaker. I am unable to change this as this is a rented apartment. Besides, I want the soundtouch to be accessible via wifi and not ethernet. I just simply tried if ethernet could work (it did).
  • I have already factory resetted the soundtouch a few times, read all their troubleshooting guides to no avail. The fact that it was working fine with the old router means the Orbi might have an issue with compatibility to the Soundtouch.
  • Firewall is turned off while setting this up

Any other information you might need just let me know. Please help.

Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Soundtouch Wave music system III
3 REPLIES 3
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work togethe

I don't know how to fix, but for what its worth, I have RBR50 (and the sat. unit RBS50).  I have six SoundTouch speakers in total, five on wifi and one wired to the RBR50.   It all works.  I have 2.4ghz channel on Auto and 5ghz on channel 48. Wireless security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES] Pretty much every setting on the router is default, and the firmware version is V2.2.1.210  Also when I check the "Attached Devices" screen on the router, all the SoundTouch speakers are using 5ghz connection.

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work together

Hi jiac,

Thanks for the post, and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

Thank you for trying those troubleshooting steps.  

We have the same router in office with 10 SoundTouch systems connected via Wi-Fi, so I'm fairly certain that they are compatible and that we can get this working for you.  

Is the firmware up to date on the wireless router?  

Is this router provided by your ISP, or was it just installed by them?

Let me know so we can get this working for you.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

jiac
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 16, 2019

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work togethe

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

I was able to finally get to the bottom of the issue:

my ISP (Ooredoo) co-branded netgear orbi prevents me from upgrading to the latest firmware version released by netgear. I confirmed this with their technical department so unless they release the latest upgrade from their end I won't be able to do anything :-(.

orbi header.png

At the moment, the only workaround I have is to just plug in the bose soundtouch to the router via ethernet. So low-tech but I'd rather do this that have a big useless brick in my house.

Thank you all for helping!