Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 15, 2017

Network lags NAS-Mac-bluetooth ST535

Hello to everybody! 

Experiencing periodical network lags while listening music through my Mac taken from NAS storage and forwarding stream over bluetooth to the ST 535 system. The same story is fine and smooth while playing music in iPhone or iPad with the same configutation (NAS-iPhone-stream over bloetooth). Does any body know what can I check here to fix it? 

Thx! 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Network lags NAS-Mac-bluetooth ST535

Hi Valik,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear about this issue. I'd be happy to help. There are a number of contributors that could be causing an issue like this, so I'll start by asking a few clarifying questions. This will help me to better understand the issue and help to guide us in the right direction for troubleshooting. 

• What is the brand and model of your NAS drive?
  • Are you able to play music stored locally on your Mac, via Bluetooth to the SoundTouch 535 without issues?
  • Are you able to play music stored on your NAS through your Mac computer without issues (without any Bluetooth connection). 
  • Have you tried rebooting your router? If not, let's try this. Simply disconnect power from your router, and reconnect after waiting a minute. 
  • Is your NAS connected to your router via Ethernet cable, or Wi-Fi?
  • Is your Mac connected to your router via Ethernet cable, or Wi-Fi?

Basically, your NAS is transferring media through your router, to your Mac. The Mac is then decoding and re-encoding the media to be streamed via Bluetooth to your SoundTouch system. The questions above should help us to identify where in this chain the issue is stemming from. 

Thank you!

Brian

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 15, 2017

Brian hello, 

Thank you for replying .. 

To your questions: 

• What is the brand and model of your NAS drive? Synology DS416slim
  • Are you able to play music stored locally on your Mac, via Bluetooth to the SoundTouch 535 without issues?  Yes. Smooth and no issues. Heavy flac. 
  • Are you able to play music stored on your NAS through your Mac computer without issues (without any Bluetooth connection). Yes.  Smooth and no issues. Heavy flac.
  • Have you tried rebooting your router? If not, let's try this. Simply disconnect power from your router, and reconnect after waiting a minute. Done
  • Is your NAS connected to your router via Ethernet cable, or Wi-Fi? Ethenet 
  • Is your Mac connected to your router via Ethernet cable, or Wi-Fi? WiFi

Well the route of music stream is quite clear in that case. May be some routing issue WiFi->Bluetooth?  But Im not sure how it works. As I said there is no issues while playing same configuration on iPhone or iPad.

Thank you! 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Valik,

Thanks for this additional info. Based on the details you've provided, I agree with your thoughts. It sounds like the issue has something to do with the speed in which the Mac can decode and encode the audio file before sending it off to a Bluetooth speaker. Curiously, do you have any other Bluetooth speakers or Bluetooth headphones you can try (instead of connecting to your Lifestyle system)? Also, are you using the iTunes application to play the music on your Mac? 

We can also try adjusting the Mac's Bluetooth connection bitpool settings. We may be able to improve the overall quality of your Bluetooth connection by following these steps:

1. Open the Finder  
  2. Double-click the “Applications”  icon on the left menu bar
  3. Double-click “Utilities”  icon in the Applications folder
  4. Double click on the “Terminal”  icon and a new window will open with the title “Terminal – bash – 80x24”
  5. Type the following into the Terminal window, all on one line, including the quotes (Case sensitive):​ ​​​​​​
    • defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 48
  6. Press return
  7. Quit the Terminal application
  8. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect

Let us know if this helps at all!

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 15, 2017

Brian hello, 

Thank you for recommendation. I've implement bluetooth parameter change. Havent noticed yet if it helps in streaming to ST 535 (will let you know later) but I've got Wireless link adapter attached in same (multiroom) set up and noticed same problem but sound interruption looks like shorter and not frequently happend. I'll try independent bluetooth speaker and will let you know on results. 

Back to your question I'm listening music via VLC and XLD players. Strange that problem happens when I'm playing music over local network because for example services like Deezer, Soundcloud or HD radio sources looks good. May be I've got a problem in kind of a routing tables WiFi -> bluetooth  (if any exist I'm not sure)...

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Thanks for the update Valik,

If the interruptions seemed to be lesser than before, we may be headed in the right direction. Definitely, let us know how it goes with streaming audio via Bluetooth to the 535 system!

Regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 15, 2017

Brian, hello, 

I've check the parameter change on all the devices. Problem still happend on all devices I've test. ST535, Wireless link and external BT speaker. Anything esle I could check? 

Valentin

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Valik,

Thanks for this update. Sorry to hear these steps didn't resolve the issue. If the same is occurring with another 3rd-party/external Bluetooth speaker, we can conclude that the issue definitely has something to do with the computer. 

I found some other Mac/Bluetooth troubleshooting steps you may want to consider trying.

If the issue still persists, I'd recommend reaching out to Apple. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Best regards,

Brian