Princeau99
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Jan 16, 2017

Re: New Airplay 2 multiroom support

Hi rsarda,

I might suggest that you check this forum once a month and buy the speakers AFTER they have the features you want working. Many of us have gotten very frustrated with Bose not following through on promised functions. For instance the promised Alexa skill, dis-abling the 18 min auto shut down and additions for new streaming services.

search this forum for the last six months to see what I mean.

The good news is the speakers sound fantastic.

Good luck.

GLH
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

Check this

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Feature-Announcement-Apple-AirPlay-2/td-p/57620

I will wait until it is implemented and only then I will buy a soundtouch wave (and I was about to buy it, good thing I read this forum!)

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

I had a bit of time on my hands recently and did some further testing on my Bose SoundTouch 30's (v3) capability to broadcast to other ST speakers via Play All over wifi. As previously discussed Play All only works with digitial input such as the built in streaming services and vPlayer radio service as well as external sources via Bluetooth. Play All does not work from external sources via Aux. The main reason is that the AUX input is analogue.

Interestingly, when receiving a signal via  iTunes / Airport Express my SoundTouch 30s play very well and in harmony. AirPlay 1 over AirPlay using an Airport Express plays multiple speakers just fine. iTunes does a fine job. SoundTouch is the limiting factor.

A friend of mine who is wise to these things suggested that Bose and Apple could not agree on Bose utilizing the "play everywhere" or multiple speaker capability of the AirPlay 1 standard. Probably licensing costs. We will probably never know. These types of issues are very sensitive for the corporate parties.

AirPlay 2 should provide the environment for ST speakers to "play all" directly without an Airport Express  as long as Bose implements the standard correctly and there isn't a repeat of the AirPlay 1 issues. 

The other question is with the adoption of AirPlay 2 and  to what degree will Apple Music be aviailable. I am betting that Apple Music will only be available on Bose gear via AirPlay 2 and an external Apple Music player.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Qzzb_UK wrote:

...Could it be Bose dropped Airplay due to the speakers not being a multi-room solution? I think we need to enphasise the benefits to bose of supporting Airplay 2 rather than just being negative on it never being supported...

I believe Bose took the position that AirPlay did not support multi room speaker systems.The story will be different for AirPlay 2.

AirPlay1 actually supports multiple speakers now but only within the AirPlay environment and Apple hardware. I play Apple Music over AirPlay to multiple SoundTouch speakers using Airport Express modules attached via the Aux port. Works fine.

AirPlay 2 should eliminate the need for Airport Express modules by updating the Bose Speaker firmware. Adding Apple Music to the list of streaming services at the same time as the AirPlay 2 update would be a big win for Bose. 

In the meantime, I am enjoying Apple Music on my Airport Express enhanced SoundTouch 30s.

GLH
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

Hi,
Any idea as to when airplay 2 will be ready to use with Soundtouch?
Thanks.

Hi GLH, 

Thank you for the question. The latest info we have on Airplay 2 is on THIS thread. There's a lot of curiosity around Airplay 2 so when we have additional information available, we will certainly share it with the community. 

Kind Regards

evelea
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 2, 2017

so.. in about 5 years, maybe?

totally dissapointed in bose's sw team. they have been promising alexa skill availability this year, now they are postponing any development on the skill until airplay 2 support is developed. however, they have not done anything since June (it's september) and I don't expect to see any updates from bose this year.

shame on you bose, you are a failure!
Highlighted
Denziloshamen
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

This cannot seriously be your answer Bose!?!?

AirPlay 2 is set to launch tomorrow alongside iOS 11. You are 'proudly' stated to be a support partner to the new protocol and have been working on it for well over two months (because you must have known about it well before we did). So now you stiff your consumers and embarrass Apple by not having your update ready for the launch of iOS 11. The promise of AirPlay 2 in the soundtouch range has been one of the only reasons I have kept both the speakers I purchased this year.

It's time that you really open up to your customers and explain why you are unable to achieve firmware updates that have been promised and prioritised over other updates (because the updates that you shelved whilst pulling all resources to AirPlay2 will now be delayed even further and you will anger even more of your customer base in the process). Your software team are destroying your products with every delay and broken promise.
evelea
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 2, 2017

simply put... incompetence.

Alexa skill was promised very early this year, it has been delayed undefinitely because of Airplay2.

Airplay2 has been promised in June this year, it will probably not be available this year as Bose's ONE sw engineer is still thinking on how to incorporate it in sw.

I'm no longer surprised or upset, I'm outraged and will tell everyone that wants to buy speakers to go for Sonos! Bose is a disgrace to todays' standards.
robbeh
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 9, 2015

Any news on this? It has been over a month since. Probably I have to wait for HomePod to arrive and tell Bose good bye.