rasmus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 17, 2015

New Airplay 2 multiroom support

Estimated Time of Arrival on SoundTouch speakers?

93 REPLIES 93
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: New Airplay 2 multiroom support

Hi rasmus,

At this time, we don't have any information regarding SoundTouch and Airplay 2.  As soon as there is info, we will notify the forum!

At this time, we are actively collecting information to answer inquiries about Airplay 2 and Homekit.  Please stay tuned for more info.

Thanks,

Brandon

audiolover
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 1, 2014

Thought it may help you to know that on apple.com it says 

AirPlay 2 may require a software update to existing speakers or new hardware depending on speaker manufacturer.

Please let us know if the ST I speaker will be compatible with AirPlay 2 through a software update.

Thanks,

PS I cannot find the Q&A thread for the AMA event this friday. Can you provide the link?

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi audiolover,

Thanks for the info!  Once I hear anything I'll update the thread.

Here is the link for the Q&A thread(it is also located at the top of the SoundTouch forum for future reference): https://community.bose.com/t5/Ask-Bose-6-9-2017/bd-p/Ask-Bose

-Brandon

audiolover
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 1, 2014

Hi Brandon,

just clicked the link you provided. 

I get a page with this message:

The core node you are trying to access was not found, it may have been deleted. Please refresh your original page and try the operation again.
Can you check?
wielkizderzacz
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

...aaaaand here goes the SoundTouch line. In 6 months Apple will include more features in a more polished product than Bose has for over two years. Bose's management is probably watching the keynote now, saying to themselves "oh, sh*t, we should have really gotten our software guys to implement that stuff". The funny part? Bose wasn't even mentioned as a player in this game:)
audiolover
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 1, 2014

Well, actually in the Apple Keynote Bose appeared among the names of other Airplay 2 speaker makers

wielkizderzacz
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

Ok, missed this bit, thanks. I stand by my words, though - I believe Bose has 6 months to revolutionize or the Soundtouch line slowly dies. $350 is roughly the price of ST20, but delivers a much better value. If the sound quality is on-par with Bose (and Apple seems to be serious with this stuff), the way things are now, there is no reason to buy soundtouch speakers at all.

edit0r88
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

I just recently purchased over 8k in Soundtouch devices, please don't make me regret this decision Bose, add Airplay 2 support either via software or hardware.  Bluetooth does NOT cut it for multiroom audio support.

Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Most of our Wi-Fi systems – Speakers, soundbars, home theater systems, and more – will receive an over the air software update with the feature when it is ready.  More information about compatibility and launch timing will be available at a later time.  Thanks!