Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gggg
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 28, 2015

New Soundtouch Wireless link adapter - volume question

I'm reading about this new Soundtouch wireless link adapter
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundtouch-adapter.html
And I have a question. I think I know the answer but I'm hoping Bose has a magic trick. 
With this connected to an amp using the optical cable, will I be able to adjust the volume? Or will I need to use the amp's own remote control?
One of the main advantages of using the other, more integrated Soundtouch products is that I don't have to mess with another system (powering on, setting input, volume control) - it's all done from the app. I don't have to walk around my house and adjust the volume in the rooms. I suspect this new adapter can't do that.
3 REPLIES 3
Hakki
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 29, 2016

Re: New Soundtouch Wireless link adapter - volume question

I'm not using the optical cable, but don't see why it would be different:
You can use the Bose app to change your volume!
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi gggg,
The SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter has a variable audio output, which means that you can adjust the volume level using the App.
Note that you will still need to begin by turning on the 3rd party amp manually and setting the volume to the maximum amount you want to use. However, after this it can be adjusted in software within that range without visiting the equipment directly
Hope this helps!
gggg
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 28, 2015

Thanks George, that's exactly what I was asking. It's kind of unfortunate, because it means you are just chopping off bits when going over optical. But I understand there's nothing one can do, it's the laws of physics. I will probably keep focusing on the SA-5 instead.