Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 12, 2015

New Year Message: Return your Soundtouch now

I thought I would start the new year by checking how Bose are doing fixing the large number of problems that many people are experiencing. It makes grim reading as very little seems to have moved.

So if you have more than one device and want to find the devices or play all, have a network router that isn't 1 foot away from the ST, want to use ST with your Lifestyle without constant disconnections, want the promised Alexa Skill and you live outside of the US you have a grim 2018 ahead.

Bose, I am sure many of us are thoroughly fed up with waiting for fixes over many months ( or years in some cases)

No-one will be surprised by this except the latest round of hard working people who handed over considerable sums of cash for what they thought would be a high end, quality product.  Personally, I am too far down the track to take my £4k of products back.

If you are a new buyer and are having problems, just take the kit back now, get your money back and look forward to a relaxing 2018. Any other course of action will leave you as bitter and frustrated as the rest of us.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Re: New Year Message: Return your Soundtouch now

I could not disagree with this more. I have 7 speakers, all of whcih work without any problems. I have never had any disconnections, problems or anything with the SoundTouch Speakers. 

You have to bear in mind that 90% of forum posts are going to be negative, its rare for people whos product is fully working with no issues to come and post about it. You cannot take froum posts as a indication of the product itself. 

I have read issues from people who expect for the sound to be synced with all speakers and have no lip sync issues - which would be next to impossible to accompish with Wifi given that the signal needs to be encoded and decoded over the network. Also people with complicated home networks (such as two IP ranges, which will block broadcast traffic) and expecting something like the soundtouch to work. 

I get some people might have problems, but the forum is not a representation of the LARGE amount of users of a product, just the ones who have generally had a rough time. 

Just my opinion - but as a user for 3 years now, i can say that providing you have a good Wifi network with a strong signal where you place the speakers and a good home bandwith (wifi signal does not mean you have a fast connection for the radio streams, etc..) the Bose SoundTouch speakers do work. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 12, 2015

Hi, good post acknowledged and respected.

It’s vital to get different views here so that we don’t all live in an echo chamber.

All I can say is that I have had my network rebuilt and have all but 1 of my ST devices connected by Ethernet.

If you are getting a fault free experience I wish you all the best and an enjoyable 2018 :😊
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

I totally agree. Synced network speakers are still quite new (in comparison to using AUX cables).

I find that the simpler things like the network (i.e. all in same IP Range 192.168.0.x) and connected to one router and the technology works. Start adding on routers, extenders (espeically powerline wifi exteners which can cause a nightmare if you have a latent connection over the cable - but will give you a srtong wifi) and it causes confusion. for any speaker to sync, the latency of the network is important. If any of the speakers are going quiet or out of sync then they cant keep up with the stream.

I do work in IT, but have a very simple network - deal with enough complicated setups at work. One Router (Currently a Apple Airport Extreme) and thats it. No network segmenting, guest networks or any form of packet shaping - and it works a dream. It is after all a consumer product and a standard consumer doesnt have anything than one router, one IP range and no form of advanced settings.

Hopefully you can resolve the problems you have, or else ebay might be ideal place to recop some of your investment if there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

All the best, and happy new year!