Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2018

New to ST300 : how to connect without ARC or optical neither ?

Hi

I have an appleTV4 and a cheap TV tuner both connected via HDMI to a relative old samsung 55" monitor with no ARC capability 

It has only an analog audio output , NO optical.

What's the best solution to connect a new SoundTouch300 ?

I was thinking to a cheap analog audio to optical converter

Audio quality would be defined by analog output, 

What about to connect at least AppleTV (mostly used) to passthrough the soundbar HDMI, and leave analog output from monitor converted to optical to ST300 for the only TV tuner ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: New to ST300 : how to connect without ARC or optical neither ?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Fred_TV

Hi Fred_TV,

Thanks for your inquiry. I'd be happy to help! If you can find a converter that will convert the analog audio signal to digital optical, this could certainly work. However, to receive true digital 5.1 audio, you will want to connect your Apple TV directly to the SoundTouch 300's HDMI in. Then, connect another HDMI cable from the soundbar to your TV. As you said, this will pass the video through the soundbar, to the TV, while allowing the audio to connect directly to the soundbar. 

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Fred_TV

Hi Fred_TV,

Thanks for your inquiry. I'd be happy to help! If you can find a converter that will convert the analog audio signal to digital optical, this could certainly work. However, to receive true digital 5.1 audio, you will want to connect your Apple TV directly to the SoundTouch 300's HDMI in. Then, connect another HDMI cable from the soundbar to your TV. As you said, this will pass the video through the soundbar, to the TV, while allowing the audio to connect directly to the soundbar. 

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2018

But , If AppleTV is passed through the ST, and Tuner converted audio is applied to optical input, they can be selected anyway (I hope they don't mix together...perhaps silly question...) ?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 27, 2016

I would probably just buy a HDMI switch that way both your apple tv and tuner run straight into the Soundbar. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2018

Not a bad idea....

A question: From App I can choose which remote control button is associated to HDMI-IN audio source, what about Optical Input ? What is it associated to ?? 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2018

Brian_M, 

on a previous discussion you wrote :

ARC and optical are tied together and are assigned to the TV source for the SoundTouch 300. They can't be separated. However, you could use the HDMI IN for a source and assign that to AUX thereby separating that from the ARC/optical input. I hope that helps clarify. 

So, as I want to use Optical In and HDMI in , they should be separated input (as only optical and ARC are tied together) and I should be able to assign these two inputs to two different devices on the remote control, isn't it ?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Fred_TV,

Yes, that is correct.  The setting can be changed in the SoundTouch App under About>Speaker Settings>SoundTouch 300.

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support