Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bug
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2017

Nieghbour connecting????

Help! I have a Bose sound touch 10, and up until now was very very happy with it. My neighbour uses a Spotify app on her iPhone 7. This app has an option to connect to my speaker via Bluetooth even though in settings>Bluetooth on her phone, my sound touch isn't connected. She can basically play her music on my speaker anytime she pleases! I find this unacceptable and I'm hoping that you can give me some advice as to how to stop her doing this!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bug
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2017

Re: Nieghbour connecting????

Author Accepted Answer selected by Bug
It would seem that I am to repeat myself. I understand your line of questions, but I can assure you that there is no wifi connectivity to my net work, as I've already stated, I have been witness to her iPhone connect to my speaker while on 4g mobile network and the wifi function on her phone turned off. Which leaves the only other mode of connection by which she is able to conect is Bluetooth. In an effort to offer further providence to my claim I have changed network password and offered up the chance for her to connect. She readily agreed and connected straight away. Go figure.....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Bug
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2017

Beginning to loose heart... there must be a solution to thus security breach?
Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Bug,

Thanks for your inquiry. I'd be happy to help with this. Based on your description, it sounds like your neighbor is seeing your SoundTouch speaker through Spotify Connect. This a feature native to Spotify, in which Bose SoundTouch speakers are compatible. Curiously, does your neighbor share your Wi-Fi network? If so, this is the reason they are able to see your Internet-connected SoundTouch speaker when using Spotify. If they were to disconnect from your Wi-Fi and use a different network, they should no longer be able to access your SoundTouch speaker via Spotify Connect. In general, to keep all of your internet-connected devices secure in your home, we recommend making sure that your Wi-Fi network is password protected.

You can view more information on Spotify Connect HERE

Best regards,

Brian

Bug
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2017

Hi Brian,
Firstly, thank you so much for offering your help, it is much appreciated. I understand your enquiries along the lines of her iPhone being connected to my network, however, I have seen the iPhone when the Spotify app is used to accesss my speaker and it was operating on 4g mobile network with wifi turned off. I can confirm however that she has been connected to my network in the past but I have ensured that the iPhone has "forgot network" and secured my password. It would seem that Spotify either connects through Bluetooth or has the ability to remember my network ssid, connection type and password key, a lot to remember for an app I'm sure you would agree. This is why I'm so confused as to how this can happen.
ftb28064212
Participant
Registered since

Feb 28, 2017

Are you sure your neighbor isn't still on your WiFi?  After reading this, I decided to test mine to ensure my neighbors can't connect.  While on WiFi, it said "Devices available" on the screen.  Clicking on this, I could see my speakers.  I turned WiFi off on my phone and could no longer see my speakers.  When choosing the "Use a WiFi speaker" option, it just gave me instructions telling me to connect to the same WiFi network as the speaker I want to use and did not list my speakers.  Also, my speakers are not listed as available for Bluetooth connections and will only play if I actually connect my phone to them via Bluetooth.  If they are in Bluetooth mode, but my phone isn't currently connected, they won't show up as available.  They just start playing once I connect, without asking first.

Bug
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by Bug
It would seem that I am to repeat myself. I understand your line of questions, but I can assure you that there is no wifi connectivity to my net work, as I've already stated, I have been witness to her iPhone connect to my speaker while on 4g mobile network and the wifi function on her phone turned off. Which leaves the only other mode of connection by which she is able to conect is Bluetooth. In an effort to offer further providence to my claim I have changed network password and offered up the chance for her to connect. She readily agreed and connected straight away. Go figure.....
Michael_F
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Hello Bug,

The speaker may appear on your neighbors Spotify application, regardless of which WiFi network they are using,  if the speaker is still logged into Spotify.com using your neighbors' account.

To remedy this, please remove the power from the SoundTouch 10 for a full two minutes, then plug the power back in. This should log the speaker out of your neighbor's account and remove the ability for them to play Spotify content on your speaker.

Let us know if that helps at all, and we can certainly take it from there if needed. Thank you.