Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

No sound after power outage

We have a new Sony TV and the SoundTouch 300. Everything was working perfectly after the firmware update recently. Yesterday we had a power outage and now I can't get the Bose to output sound via the HDMI ARC connection unless I unplug the power to the TV. After the TV restarts from unplugging everything works until you turn it off. The TV shows external speakers as the output device. Everything works perfectly with the Optical Digital cable. I'd like it to be back the way it was so I can turn everything on and off with one remote. I've reset the TV to factory defaults. Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: No sound after power outage

Hi maryjode, 

Can you try and adjust the CEC setting on the soundbar to "Alternate On" and see if this helps? 

1. In the SoundTouch app, select Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select the system] > Advanced Setup > HDMI-CEC.
  2. To change the current setting, select the empty circle next to the preferred option
    1. Default On Enables CEC
    2. Alternate On: Prevents unintended source switching and may fix CEC inconsistencies
    3. Off: Disables CEC
  3. Press the X in the upper right to close the window

Thank you 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

It didn't seem to make a difference. I had it on default on prior to changing it to alternate on. I had to unplug the tv 2 times today to get sound back. Also, if I turn the tv off with the sound muted I have to unplug and re plug the tv to get sound back. I'm really not sure if it's a Bose or Sony issue right now. It's just annoying because everything worked perfectly before the power outage. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Our apologies that this is still ongoing. It definitely sounds frustrating. Can you try a full HDMI reset to see if it helps? Here are the steps:

1. Turn off the Bose system and the TV.
  2. Unplug the Bose system and the TV.
  3. Disconnect HDMI cable at both ends and re-seat them ensuring a secure connection.
  4. Reconnect the source device and the Bose system to power.
  5. Turn on the TV.
  6. Turn on your source devices (cable box, DVD player, game console)
  7. Turn on the Bose system.

Thank you 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

I will try again, but as of last weekend I gave up and am only using the digital optical cable. I was tired of crawling under the table to unplug and plug the power. It would always come back on but I had to do it every day. I thought about emptying the cache on the TV also (Android system Sony TV) and will also try that when I have more time. Thanks for the suggestion.