Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angryofm
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

Re: No sound, white square

Hi Joel,

the problem never happens once a station has been playing, I have never seen that ‘press ok to continue listening’ message, once a station starts playing it keeps playing...

‘The problem always occurs when initially selecting a station, usually when the ST is off and I press a pre-set button, not once station has started playing.

i have three Internet radio stations on my presets, any of them can have the problem, sometimes I need to select another station then go back to the first then perhaps back and forth before i get the white square to disappear and one of them to play.

rpb99
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 20, 2017

Same here

Soundtouch 20 series iii.  I am getting the dreaded square when the unit has been in standby and any preset radio station is selected.

It eventually goes away after multiple power cycles / random button pushing!  Not great.

I have the latest BY home hub, 30 mbps dowload speed and an excellent wifi signal. 

I am pretty sure the problem only started happening a few months ago, so it may be software related that crept into a previous update

ps  there are no a number of threads on this issue.  Not sure how these can be unified but it is clearly a widespread problem

Sturle
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 11, 2018

Thanks for the reply, Joel - and thanks the two previous users posting. These replies in this threat descirbe the problem accuratly. I can confirm that the problems startet after the last software update. Also for me,  the square appears with any station and any preset + any other station that is selected. I do hope that Bose can take the problem seriously?

Steven
Glenn_london
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 10, 2017

Totally agree Steven, I’ve never had this problem before and am getting it regularly since the last update.  Switching off and then back on again helps but you should not need to do that for a good quality system. 

Glenn

rpb99
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 20, 2017

If it helps in diagnosing the problem, when I have the white square problem and try pressing a few buttons I sometimes get a sort of WiFi icon in place of the white square.  As others have reported, when the preset radio station eventually starts playing it does not drop out.

It occurs to me that whilst there are large numbers of users on this forum quite rightly complaining, we have already been suckered into buying a Bose product.  Bose would presumably pay more attention if these issues were broadcast more widely to potential new customers.   Accordingly, if the issue is not fixed pretty quickly I reccomend we start posting a few honest reviews on Amazon etc to let people know what they will be signing up to before they buy!

A shame becuase the functionality of the product is really good in theory, if not in practice.

Sturle
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 11, 2018

Thank you! I totally agree with your great idea. Bose obviously knows about the problem, but does nothing. Yes, people should be warned before buying SoundTouch.
Steven
audiolover
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 1, 2014

I'm experiencing the same exact issues you have described since the last couple of updates. Soooo frustrating that Bose cannot figure this out and won't offer a solution. My sountouch 20 sounds great for its size but Bose software expertise or lack thereof is truly maddening
Ben_E

Hi all,

Thank you for your posts about these issues, and for the troubleshooting you've all tried so far. I do understand that this makes for a frustrating experience.

Have you tried resetting your routers as well, especially if a firmware update was recently installed on the speaker? To reset the router, simply unplug it for 30 seconds and then reconnect it to power.

For SoundTouch 10s, 20s or 30s that have an "AUX" button (rather than a "Bluetooth | AUX" button), there is another kind of reset that can be done. Please turn the system off, then push and hold the AUX button on the system for 15 seconds. This will reset the speaker, but will not reset it to its factory settings.

If your SoundTouch speaker has a "Bluetooth | AUX" button, then the best way to reset it without resetting it to its factory defaults, is to remove the power, wait for 30 seconds, reconnect the power and then retry the process.

Another idea that has been known to help customers with similar issues to these, is to split the router into two networks - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I am suggesting this because, depending on which network your SoundTouch speaker supports (see below), it may be worth making the connection to just one of the networks, rather than the router trying to make use of both.

The method is to split the router into the two networks, rename each of them, and then connect to the 2.4GHz network (if your SoundTouch 20 or 30 has an "AUX" button), or to the faster, less-congested 5GHz network (if your SoundTouch 10, 20 or 30 has a "Bluetooth | AUX" button). SoundTouch 20s and 30s with just an "AUX" button do not support the 5GHz frequency band.

I hope these troubleshooting steps help! Let us know if they do. If you need any additional assistance, we are happy to help.

Regards

-    Ben - Bose Support

Mehr fühlen, mehr erleben.
Neu in der Community? In unseren Community-Richtlinien findest Du hilfreiche Tipps für den Einstieg. Nicht vergessen: wir haben unsere Community-Ränge und -Belohnungen erneuert und verbessert. Schau sie Dir mal an!
Glenn_london
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 10, 2017

Hi Ben,

I had tried everything apart from separating the wi-fi networks, I have now done this and let’s see how it goes now.

Glenn  

Ben_E

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply. Do let us know how separating the networks works out on your side - if you require any further assistance, we'll be happy to help.

Best regards

-    Ben

Mehr fühlen, mehr erleben.
Neu in der Community? In unseren Community-Richtlinien findest Du hilfreiche Tipps für den Einstieg. Nicht vergessen: wir haben unsere Community-Ränge und -Belohnungen erneuert und verbessert. Schau sie Dir mal an!