Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 7, 2015

Online game lags when Wave Soundtouch on

While playing an online game if I stream music from my PC to the Wave SoundTouch the game starts to lag. The ping, which is continuously displayed during gameplay, is usually steady at around 125-135 ms, which is OK. When I turn the Soundtouch on it starts fluctuating from 125 ms to 250 ms and up to about 400 ms.

My router is a Telstra T-Hub, I tried a Netgear D6200, it made no difference. My PC, router and SoundTouch are within 3 metres of each other and direct line of sight. I can't run a permanent ethernet cable between the PC and the router, but I can run a cable from the router to the SoundTouch. Can this be done and will it help?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Online game lags when Wave Soundtouch on

Hi Dave96,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you're having.  It sounds to me that there is wireless interference that is causing this problem, as the Wave SoundTouch doesn't use that much bandwidth to stream music.  Your recommendation of connecting the ethernet cable is spot on; Try that out and see if it resolves the issue.  Connecting the ethernet cable will disable the Wi-Fi in the Wave SoundTouch, so this should fix the problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 7, 2015

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your reply. Can I use an ethernet cable between the SoundTouch and the modem, and at the same time WiFi between the modem and my PC?

Cheers, Dave.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Dave,

Yes, you absolutely can! The only hiccup that can happen is on certain routers, Wi-Fi and wired devices don't communicate well, which can be solved by disabling a setting in your router that is typically called Wireless Isolation or AP isolation. I also have a few more questions as well:

1. Can you do a speedtest (speedtest.net) and post the results?

2. What music are you streaming?  Is it an online music service like Spotify, or a music library located on your computer?

3. What game are you playing?  Does it require an unusually large amount of bandwidth?

-Brandon