Highlighted
scmg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 29, 2016

Paired speakers, bluetooth and tv lag

I think we've all experienced this now and seen how once you pair the speakers and then connect to a tv the lag is completely unbearable.

Not sure if there is an official line on this but fyi I have decided to take my Bose system back for a refund now as the single issue is a real headache for me.   

The great shamer is I love the look of the speakers, the sound quality, the app and ease of use so why not get this fundamental bit right.

I'd love to hear from a Bose rep here to see what the plan is.    As someone who has always appreciated great sound I am now being forced to switch brand through one single software issue that I imagine could be resolved by your very capable developers.

Really hope Bose makes a public comment on this matter here please...

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
scmg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 29, 2016

Re: Paired speakers, bluetooth and tv lag

**** DISAPPOINTED ****   I posted this up yesterday and saw that the moderators were posting replies either side of my posting time so eeagerly awaited a response.    It was skipped over so either there is an no answer or is not possible to answer through embarassment.

Either way.   Today I will contact my retailer and advise them to arrange to take back the kit i bought from them over xmas and get a replacement from another brand.

This time I'll be armed with better info about the requirement and possible problems.

Thanks BOSE!   Not what I expected.

Highlighted
jaybo41
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Out of curiosity, have you tried adjusting the settings within the TV's sound settings, or attempted to adjust the controls under the advanced speaker settings>HDMI In Direct Audo settings in the Bose App? 

I won't make excuses for the mods, I too had a post that went unanswered and understand your frustration. I contacted Bose Tech Support today via phone and was able to get my issue resolved, you might consider reaching out that way before returning unless you're completely set on doing so. 

Highlighted
scmg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 29, 2016

There is no Advanced area in the Soundtouch app. Unless I am missing something here.

The TV is a brand new 4k LG 43 inch unit.

danyulland
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 5, 2015

Highlighted
jaybo41
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

When you open the App, there are the 3 lines in the top left corner.  Look at Settings>Speaker Settings.  You should then see your speaker. select that, then Advanced Setup> HDMI IN Direct Audio.  Towards the bottom you will see the delay setting.  Obviously you have to enable this feature first which may introduce other issues but it is worth trying. 

It'd be helpful if you mentioned what products you're trying to connect.  Have you tried adjusting the sound settings on the TV itself?  There could be a setting for sound delay there. 

Highlighted
Dangerlugs
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 29, 2017

OK I've noticed this too and it's a pain. I call it gadgetitis. The speakers and the Soundtouch application do so many things fabulously except the one thing you really wished it did. (You can say that about every piece of tech you own)

I think the speakers are so good I am willing to just use a wire on the few occasions I want to watch a movie.

They will fix it one day I am sure.

Highlighted
wielkizderzacz
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

@Dangerlugs

Sorry to disappoint you, bro, but the wire connection will not work in SoundTouch line - it has a noticeable delay, too. The bottom line is: unless your TV or movie player has the capability to delay image vs sound., you can't use SoundTouch sepakers to watch TV or movies. Period.

Bose said on this forum that the lag is unfixable by software - there is a hardware limitation and the signal must go through the digital signal processing unit, which introduces a lag.

You are maybe the 100th person complaining about this on the forum, and Bose knows this and still neglects to update their product FAQ to warn prospective customers about this issue. I bought my ST30 to use as a TV speaker and can't, due to the same exact reason - aux lag. I treat this as a sign of extremely bad intent anb trickery on Bose's side - so that people with this use case (using the speakers for tv and movie audio) would be misguided into buying the ST products.

Highlighted
edgardelcastillo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

Jay, could you be so kind to share with us the process Bose Techs asked you to follow to resolve the issue? Thanks
Highlighted
jaybo41
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Actually my issue was unrelated to the OP's original one.  My point was that by contacting Bose Tech support, the issue I did have at the time was quickly resolved.  I'm certain that not all issues can be resolved as quickly, but it is always worth a shot IMHO to contact customer support when issues arise.  Apologies for the confusion.