Permanent Groups

Highlighted
Strident Supporter

Permanent Groups

I've been asking for permanent groups for literally years. It's a pretty obvious use case, and I managed to implement it myself using a raspberry-pi. It took me less than an hour, but it's not a perfect way of doing things. I noticed on this forum many others have asked the same thing.

I just bought 4 Amazon Alexas and found that despite them only releasing Spotify multi-room functionality a few weeks ago, their grouping is already permanent. They managed it on the first release...for the first time I am legitimately thinking of selling my few Bose systems now.

Also, still no Bose Alexa skill on the UK store. As a developer, I looked into how easy it is to port a US Alexa skill to the UK. The answer: extremely easy.

FFS Bose. I've owned my SoundTouch speakers for around 3 years now and I've continued to regret buying them for 3 years.

18 REPLIES

Re: Permanent Groups

Hi TimDonovan, 

Our apologies that we don't have permanent grouping. If we hear of any update regarding this, we will let the community know. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

Friendly Fanatic

Is there any kind of FAQ that will tell me what happens when I group speakers?

For example, if I group speakers A, B & C, using A as the primary speaker, what happens when I change the preselect/source on A - does it change those things for the group as well? Or what happens when I turn speaker A off - does it stop the playback for all the other speakers?

I know I can work these things out myself simply by trial & error, but if there's an explanation of the permutations involved in managing groups, can you point me to it?

Friendly Fanatic

What do you mean by "permanent groups?" 

Hi Harmon,

Thank you for the great questions! I'd be happy to help:

• "if I group speakers A, B & C, using A as the primary speaker, what happens when I change the preselect/source on A"
    • When you change the preset or music source on ANY of the grouped speakers, the source will also change on the remaining grouped speakers. This can be via the app, or via the physical buttons or remote controls for your SoundTouch systems.
  • "Or what happens when I turn speaker A off - does it stop the playback for all the other speakers?"
    • If you turn the primary speaker off, all of the grouped speakers will also turn off. However, if you turn off one of the additional "non-primary" speakers, the remaining grouped speakers will continue to play. 

A tip for grouping - SoundTouch utilizes a "Master speaker". Typically, you want to first choose a speaker that is either connected via Ethernet or has a strong Wi-Fi signal strength, to be the master speaker. This will help with group-performance. Once you have chosen this speaker within the SoundTouch app, begin playing music through this speaker. Then, add additional speakers, or select PLAY ALL from the grouping menu located at the bottom of the SoundTouch app. 

Permanent grouping or Persistent grouping is a feature that has been requested by many users. This feature is not currently available. Essentially, with persistent grouping, you'd be able to create a group and save it. This way, the next time you go to use the SoundTouch app, you wouldn't need to manually create the group again. If and when new information becomes available about this, we will be sure to share here with the Community!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Friendly Fanatic

Tim -

Playing around with the Soundtouch app controls, I've come up with a way to have what I guess I can call "semi-permanent groups" or maybe "standbuy groups". No doubt you already know this, but as a new user, I didn't, so I'm posting it for others like me to see.

You have to go to a primary speaker's page, then tap on the sound source at the very top, bringing up the source page for whatever is being played over the primary speaker. On the source page, you tap the solid square inside the circle, which pauses the playback, until you tap the play icon that has appeared inside the circle. (Neither one of these icons is labeled.) And then, you just have to leave the primary source device (WAVE or speaker) on. Don't turn it off physically, or by using the app, becasue that breaks up the group. 

If you do this, whatever group you have set up will persist until you actually shut the primary speaker down. Just unpause the last source, & switch to the new source you want. It's not a full implimentation of permanent groups, but at least it means that you don't have to be setting up, all the time, groups you use all the time.

Friendly Fanatic

Duh...you can also do this by using the pause/play button on the primary speaker's remote control...

Friendly Fanatic

I have to add that I'm not sure how long the "pause" will last, though. Might depend on the source. 

Hi Harmon,

Thanks for your response. This method could certainly be used as a workaround!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Wistful Whisperer

Can you elaborate on your raspberry-pi workaround to generate permanent groups?