Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 24, 2017

Re: Play all issue with 16.x

Not sure if this might help the Bose engineers but looking at my router the names of both speakers is wrong:

fullsizeoutput_2555.jpeg

This is my Virgin SuperHub 2 admin page showing devices connected to my 5Ghz network. All the other names for my devices are correct (also correct are the names of the devices on the 2.4Ghz network and the 3 devices hardwired into the router via ethernet).

I've got reserved IP addresses for all my devices and security is set to deny any devices unless they're in my MAC address whitelist.

I've named my speakers 'Bedroom Speaker' and 'Lounge Speaker' but as you can see above the router thinks they're called 'SoundTouch-Bedroom-Speaker' and 'Bose-Lounge'.

I've completely powered off my router, unplugged it and left it off for 30 mins then powered it back on, the same result.

Could the reason for Play All not working be due to the fact there's a mismatch of hostnames on my network? If so, why is it only my Bose devices that show an incorrect hostname?

It's even stranger because I've never named my speakers either of the ones the router is incorrectly showing.

My theory is that each speaker works fine on their own (can play anything on either device with no issues) but utilizing Play All will require use of my router to locally broadcast from one speaker to the other and stream the sound - if the router is using incorrect hostnames it's not going to work.

I've got some MicroUSB adaptors on their way from Bose and will capture the logs.

Regards,

Jamie

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

As of yesterday, as I predicted, the problem came back.

Last week I rejoined the speakers to my 2.4Ghz network. The play-all feature works again for about a week to 10 days.

Tonight I'm going to add the speakers to the network again, and I'll be good for another 10 days max.

I never considered Sonos uptill now...  Doubting to sell my entire Bose setup 2nd-hand and get me a WORKING Sonos-setup...

Expict
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 19, 2017

@BoseJamie wrote:

Not sure if this might help the Bose engineers but looking at my router the names of both speakers is wrong:

fullsizeoutput_2555.jpeg

This is my Virgin SuperHub 2 admin page showing devices connected to my 5Ghz network. All the other names for my devices are correct (also correct are the names of the devices on the 2.4Ghz network and the 3 devices hardwired into the router via ethernet).

I've got reserved IP addresses for all my devices and security is set to deny any devices unless they're in my MAC address whitelist.

I've named my speakers 'Bedroom Speaker' and 'Lounge Speaker' but as you can see above the router thinks they're called 'SoundTouch-Bedroom-Speaker' and 'Bose-Lounge'.

I've completely powered off my router, unplugged it and left it off for 30 mins then powered it back on, the same result.

Could the reason for Play All not working be due to the fact there's a mismatch of hostnames on my network? If so, why is it only my Bose devices that show an incorrect hostname?

It's even stranger because I've never named my speakers either of the ones the router is incorrectly showing.

My theory is that each speaker works fine on their own (can play anything on either device with no issues) but utilizing Play All will require use of my router to locally broadcast from one speaker to the other and stream the sound - if the router is using incorrect hostnames it's not going to work.

I've got some MicroUSB adaptors on their way from Bose and will capture the logs.

Regards,

Jamie

I just checked my settings and oddly enough, same issue here.  Weird names I don't recall setting!  In conjunction with these weird names popping up, my speakers are bouncing from one network to another.  No matter how I sent QoS, they shift from one network to the other.  I have found that before I even turn the system on that if I go to my settings and confirm (for the millionth time) that the speakers and main unit are on the 2.4 Ghz network, I'm good for a couple of hours.  Weird.  I see this posted over and over again. I'm not sure why this can't befixed, or, why the older version of the app can't be made available along with an option to not auto-update.  Would end a lot of heartache.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 19, 2017

@Expict wrote:

As of yesterday, as I predicted, the problem came back.

Last week I rejoined the speakers to my 2.4Ghz network. The play-all feature works again for about a week to 10 days.

Tonight I'm going to add the speakers to the network again, and I'll be good for another 10 days max.

I never considered Sonos uptill now...  Doubting to sell my entire Bose setup 2nd-hand and get me a WORKING Sonos-setup...

I know it's a pain but have you tried confirming your settings before you turn anything on?  It's the ONLY way I can get mine to work together right now.  This may change with the next version of the app but right now, it's the only workable solution I can find.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi BoseJamie, 

Thank you for sharing that. I've sent that over to the software team as well. Good catch! 

Hi ihatethisproduct,

Thank you for clarifying. I'm sorry that this is still ongoing. What model of router are you using? Which systems do you have? When you called in, were they able to resolve the issue at least temporarily? If not, how did the call end? Were they escalating your issue up to the software team, just like I did for BoseJamie? Is the contact center going to be following up with you with what they find? Even though we've seen this issue after the 16.x update, there are still many customers still using play all normally, including myself. We really want to help and see if we can fix this for you. If we exhaust all troubleshooting, our process is to then escalate unresolved issues up to our software team. I'd be happy to do this for you as well, but will need to clarify a few things first. When you have these issues, can you check the signal strength going to your systems using THIS procedure and see how they are registering? This can help us determine if coincidentally there is some sort of interference at play. 

Hi Expict, 

I'm sorry that this came back. Thank you for letting us know how long the systems stay connected. Can you check your DHCP lease time and see what duration that is set to? I'd recommend extending this to see if it corrects the issue for you. What is the make and model of router you are using? 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 10, 2017

Glad the speakers are working for you Brent

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Hi Brent_B,

I'm using an Asus RT-AC67u as router.

Both soundtouches are connected to the 2.4Ghz network, obtaining an IP-adress with a lease time of 86400 seconds.

Kind Regards,

a very dissapointed Bose-customer...

Expict
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2016

What are the settings for a Google Wifi router, please?  My play all works for 3 minutes and disconnects..the speakers are not up to par with what I paid for them...

Where's the Alexa integration?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Expict, 

Thank you for responding. Since the issue has appeared, have you tried unplugging both the Asus and your speakers from power for about a minute? My apologies if you've already tried this; this thread is getting a bit lengthy. After doing the reset, can you try putting your systems back on the 5 GHz network and see if it prevents the disconnects? Before the update, were you seeing any disconnects at all with your speakers? When your systems have the issue, does the Wi-Fi LED still stay white? Does the app say "Searching for system" but never discovers them? 

Kind Regards

Hi New2Bose,

Our apologies that you're experiencing this. Which model Google router do you have? Which systems do you have? Did this issue start after the 16.x update or has this always happened? Are they on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band of the router? Can you try to unplug power to the systems and your router for 30 seconds and re-test? Please let us know. The latest update on the Alexa skill is HERE

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2016

Hi,

Yes, it has gotten progressively worse over time....it's basically unusable now.

The router is called Google Wifi (https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi_specs)

I have the Soundtouch 10's and 20....

I believe this router works on both frequencies, but I am not aware there is a way to change this per device.

I've plugged, unplugged, re-done many times...not helping..