Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

Re: PlayAll Patch 19.0.9

Hi Touch,

I don't know how the weekend might figure into it, but usually it is by the next day.

You PvtMsg the Community Moderator, he reads it and sends your Acct eMail addr to tech support who enterers it into their server, then the next time you open your app after they have done that, your app wil ask you to upgrade your firmware. Some or your speakers might need to be re-added, but only that first time and then they work.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

@Roolf7 wrote:
Ok. Thanks a lot. I sent a pm to admin. I hope they can solve the problem.

An other question please. How can I know the speaker firmware version?

Hi Roofl7

Under "Settings" in the App, click on "About", then the name of each speaker/device.

Under that name, you should see that the "Software Version" has changed from 19.0.5 to 19.0.9 after it is upgraded/patched.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 4, 2018

Ok. Thank you

I have 19.0.5 version on each speaker.

Waiting for admin reply then. I Hope they can answer soon.
Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 20, 2018

@Roolf7 wrote:
Hello. I have the "play all" problem too.
I have android app version 18.1.5 (2018 march) I guess this is latin america version. Because I can't see 19.0.9 version at my playstore. But in my windows app I have same problem with play all.

Would you please tell me where o how can I download 19.0.9 version?

Thanks a lot.

Dear @Roolf7 

The 19.0.9 does refer to the firmware version on the speaker - not to the version of the app that you are running - I am now running the 19.0.9 patch on all my ST speakers but the app version on my iOS devices remains 18.1.4 that was last updated about 5 months ago on the app store - on my computer (MAC OS X) the app version is also 18.1.4, with the interface version being 19.1.7 (Protocol version 60) - so in fact you probably have the latest soundtouch app on your device.

Note however that unfortunately in my case, the 19.0.9 patch only marginally improved the situation: after 48 hours, the SoundTouch wave System IV and the Soundtouch Wireless Link adapter seem to drop out randomly from the play all - the 2 ST 10 on the other hand seem to be OK but they had generally been even after the 19.0.5 upgrade.

So at least for me, the ordeal is far from over...sadly...

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 20, 2018

Well - here we are - it's now been 48 hours since the patch was pushed by Bose to my 4 ST components. And after a first 12 hours of the Play All working properly - now I am back to the same nonsense.

I did again everything by the book and reset the whole system from scratch, including resetting everything to factory setting (including my routers/network - a rather tedious process you can imagine). but to no avail.

The play all will cut off randomly on one speaker or another, regardless of the source (internet radio, spotify, Apple Music, etc...).

As it is the PLAY ALL features remains unusable.

For folks general info, I am running the following:

2 ASUS routers running in AiMesh mode: 1 RT-AC5300 router (tri-band) as AiMesh primary router + 1 RT-AC88U (dual-band) as AiMesh node. WPA2=Personal (AES) Network security

4 ST components: 2 x ST 10, 1x ST Wave System IV, 1x ST Wireless Link Adapter (connects via optical to my receiver). All connected to the 2.4 Ghz band - all have fair RSSI signal strength or above at all times.

To control, I am either running the iOS app on either ipad Pro / Iphone 8 Plus or running the SoundTouch app on OS X (MAC PRO Late 2013).

I am disappointed, angry and above all despaired at the prospect of being incapacitated in using the PLAY ALL feature for another 3.5 months which the last delay it took Bose to even ackowledge there was an issue and propose a fix.

I feel cheated....not sure what to do next....

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

My previous observations were on Soundtouch networks are if signal strength is reported as fair this can cause the devices to switch connections in order to find a better source in which cases a mesh network is worst case situation because the units can become confused which ap to use and they usually do not always select the closest. Disabling and re enabling wifi can occasionally cause them change.

After doing that try forcing dhcp lease renewals for the soundtouch devices and if you are able to define resevrations consider doing that. Your routers may have cloud based security software that could occassionally upset the devices and if that is the case check and consider restricting that only to the router that has internet connection and check the logs to make sure it is not blocking network connections used by the soundtouch devices.

I found that the height of the routers when compared to he soundtouch devices makes quite a big difference. So if the routers are low down try to place them a about a metre from floor level to increase the range.

As you have a mesh network, fair signal strength is a problem and you need to check for sources of interference. Set your routers to use separate network name for 5ghz network and reconfigure your soundtouch devices for that.

For your Soundtouch Wave IV, connect via network cable to the nearest router if you are able to do that, the other devices you mentioned sadly do not have that option.

Based on experience consider relocating your soundtouch 10 devices based of using an app on your phone to check network strength, once repositioned reset the devices. Soundtouch devices do not like being moved without getting reset.

I now have all my Soundtouch units connected via ethernet to my aps and play all therefore works everytime having done that and problems with finding the units with the soundtouch ap go away.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 20, 2018

@David Moore wrote:

My previous observations were on Soundtouch networks are if signal strength is reported as fair this can cause the devices to switch connections in order to find a better source in which cases a mesh network is worst case situation because the units can become confused which ap to use and they usually do not always select the closest. Disabling and re enabling wifi can occasionally cause them change.

After doing that try forcing dhcp lease renewals for the soundtouch devices and if you are able to define resevrations consider doing that. Your routers may have cloud based security software that could occassionally upset the devices and if that is the case check and consider restricting that only to the router that has internet connection and check the logs to make sure it is not blocking network connections used by the soundtouch devices.

I found that the height of the routers when compared to he soundtouch devices makes quite a big difference. So if the routers are low down try to place them a about a metre from floor level to increase the range.

As you have a mesh network, fair signal strength is a problem and you need to check for sources of interference. Set your routers to use separate network name for 5ghz network and reconfigure your soundtouch devices for that.

For your Soundtouch Wave IV, connect via network cable to the nearest router if you are able to do that, the other devices you mentioned sadly do not have that option.

Based on experience consider relocating your soundtouch 10 devices based of using an app on your phone to check network strength, once repositioned reset the devices. Soundtouch devices do not like being moved without getting reset.

I now have all my Soundtouch units connected via ethernet to my aps and play all therefore works everytime having done that and problems with finding the units with the soundtouch ap go away.

Thanks for the thought David. I was just being thorough on the network configuration, but actually I did some testing both after the 19.0.5 and the 19.0.9 release to rule out that the mesh configuration was the problem (first thought that came to me at the time) - i.e. moved the main router temporarily where  I did not power up the node at all and that did not make one bit of difference.

Further I did monitor in mesh configuration which router the speaker swere connecting to and I found them never switching over as all ST items have one of the 2 routers they are clearly much closer to(and see therefore a much stronger signal from).Note that my 2 routers are connected as nodes through a physical LAN connection (i.e. they do not use wifi backhaul). The node is essentially invisible as all settings are managed on the primary router (which is connected to the internet)

So i very much doubt that the Mesh nature of the network is the problem here.

Now on on the RSSI signal strength, the interesting thing is that this is were the soundtouch app and the router monitoring interface disagree, as in the app I occasionnally get the "fair" rating on the connection only on the soundtouch wave IV, which is the least likely to switch over between the 2 nodes due to its physical position in the house - all others rate as Great at all times - , however on the router log, the signal is alway 3 or 4 bars out of 4.

So thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think this is the issue here at all. Final proof of all of this is that prior to 19.0.5 everything was working just fine with the mesh network.....even if was using 5 Ghz band at the time and had lower signal strength....

It's something else for Bose to figure out. if they only were showing a bit more responsiveness to actually work through the details with those of us motivated enough (and tech savvy enough) to do so - but all our comments and feedback seem to disappear in a black hole and I do find the Bose team quite defensive (i.e. quick to deflect the blame on others) or attempting to play down the issue (i.e. cover up...)

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi sbleyo,

Thank you for the detailed follow-up.

Since we have seen some functionality issues in the past with mesh networks, could I ask that you unplug the node and test again?  As well, simply unplugging the 2nd router isn't enough, I believe you have to switch out of AiMesh mode on the primary ASUS router and reboot it before it functions as a standalone access point.  If you're not willing to try this I understand, as it may be a lot of work on your end.

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 9, 2018

Sorry to be pushy Brandon_M but have the admins seen my PM yet so I can get version 19.0.9

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Fourth day of the patch for me and all appears well, my speakers have not missed a beat, "Play All" feature working perfectly.