Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 20, 2018

Re: PlayAll Patch 19.0.9

Brandon, 

Note that I also uploaded a second set of logs from the soundtouchlogtool.app as well just now in the rare occasion that it started showing all 4 ST items properly on start up and when the system was working properly with Play ALL (i.e. all for items showing up as available in the soundtouch app and able to play all sources properly). Hopefully this may help compare to the previous sets where either the play all was not working or the SoundtouchLogTool.app itself was acting up,

Frankly, I am still dumbfounded at the poor design of this whole system altogether, and again, rather than being running 19.0.9, can I just be allowed to roll back to the pre 19.0.5 firmware as I know you would be able to push it to my account individually. Things were working just fine then...

I just want to be able to use play all like I used to. YOU BROKE THIS - NOT ME.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 20, 2018

And this thread should also be pinned to the top of the soundtouch speaker and wireless speakers forums - or are you also trying to cover up the ongoing issues?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2018

This whole issue has been incredibly frustrating.  FYI - I received the firmware update about the same time Ol'Goat did, and it has worked for me since.  It is a little slow finding my speakers, but I think that is an unrelated issue.  Also, I changed my network topology a bit in ways I believe were helpful and may also have contributed to the success of the fix (basically, I set up one wifi network for devices and a different one for humans.  That helped).

Here's what I know (which isn't much) about KRACK.  In late 2017, KRACK was announced.  It was a vulnerability in a basic element of WiFi security.  By "basic," I mean fundamental - it was part of almost every implementation.  It was a flaw in the WPA protocol.  Basically, every time a device hops onto a WiFi network, the device has to shake hands with the router and be authenticated.  That is a four step process.  A savvy attacker could watch this handshake, and at step 3 put in its own information.  That would allow the attacker to break your WiFi security process and snoop on all the traffic on your WiFi.  Worse, EVERY device is subject to the vulnerability: if your computers are all patched and immune but your smart speakers are still vulnerable, then your network is still vulnerable.  Until the protocol could be fixed, one suggestion to developers was to simply do away with some steps of the handshake process (end replay at step 3).  That cut off the vulnerability.  Caused other problems, btw, but it was a start.  To patch around KRACK, every client and every access point has to be patched (and the patches are slightly different).  But if your router is acting as both a client and an access point (ie - it is in bridge mode) then the patch is trickier.  In fact, some routers (notably Netgear routers) are ONLY vulnerable when acting as a client, which means they are only vulnerable when acting in bridge mode (also called "MESH" on some implementations, because you can have more than one bridge).

With the patch, WiFi with WPA is less reliable.  Flaky WiFi means networky transactions (like Play All) get flaky, too.  Bose' implementation of Play All requires a pretty good network - a lot of data has to reliably move around, or the sound quality would degrade.  Flaky WiFi, therefore, leads to broken grouping and Play All.  Note, Bose had no control over the broken WPA implementation, or the recommended fix.  If you want to be frustrated and hate on someone for that, look to the WiFi Alliance or somewhere.  (If you want to hate on Bose for their public response to this and the lack of information, I will not stand in your way.  Also, stand in line.)  Point is, this whole mess forces a tradeoff between network vulnerability (to KRACK) on the one hand, versus network flakiness on the other.  There is no ideal with no vulnerability and no flakiness (until the underlying protocol gets fixed).

My guess is that Bose uses wpa_supplicant (the Linux and Android WPA implementation) on SoundTouch.  That was the most vulnerable implementation in the wild.  So patching was really important, but it led to flakiness.  My bet is that the current firmware they are testing backs out that patch in favor of a different, non-ideal solution.  And I'm betting the non-ideal solution permits more flakiness if bridging or mesh are active on the network (in order to reduce exposure to KRACK) and permits more vulnerability if bridging or mesh are not active.

Anyhow, I've stopped bridging on my network and, with the new firmware, things seems to be running well.  The eventual fix I will implement is to put all of my Soundtouch stuff on a wholly separate router from everything else in my house.  I need a new router anyhow, so I can do this without any pain.  But it sucks.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 2, 2018

Hi guys.
I tried something new and it seems to have worked. I restore each speaker to fabrics and set them up as if they were new. They have been working almost 100% for a week now, ptl. The only problem is that sometimes one of my 10s loses conection but when I rise up the volume conection is restored, go figure that...
Did somebody tried that as well? Please share your thoughts.
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Hi All,

Just a quick update, one week on and the patch is working fine, all functions are spot on. Very pleased at the moment lets hope it continues.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

For me the Play All Patch 19.0.9 is an extremely frustrating customer service experience. I contacted the customer service here in Germany on the 2nd of August (Thursday) and the guy on the phone promised that I would receive the update two or three working days later by Tuesday (7th of August). Today is the 14th and I have not received the update yet. In the meantime I contacted the customer service several times and nobody was able to tell me why I don't get the update. 

In other words: Bose broke their own promise without telling you why. This is a perfect example of how to loose customers. Very frustrating. The multiroom feature in conjunction with AUX rebroadcasting was the reason for buying Bose back in September 2017. If had known then what I know now about Bose's software and Bose's customer service I would not have decided on the Soundtouch product family.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Dan_Seweri,

Please check your inbox for a private message.

Thanks,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 2, 2018

Just to tell you that my so called solution is not working anymore.

@Brandon. I got the instructions but as a tech dumb I am having some trouble gathering the data you required! But I am not a quitter so I will give it another chance tomorrow.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

So I got a patch pushed to my 7 speakers last night - 19.0.11.

I was terrified to apply it, but had the same problems with play all, speakers not being found - you name it, every time I went to use my Bose speakers I had to fix something, reset something, factory reset something - utterly ridiculous.  So I went ahead and did all speakers last night.

I tested each speaker, then adding all speakers, some speakers, etc. for a few hours last night, and was pretty pleased - I wasn't having random speakers not found, every thing was playing exactly as it should. Figured I would test throughout the week this week but was hopeful that some consistency of use was in this firmware.

Then I got up this morning and connected one speaker via bluetooth to my iPhone 6 plus...terrible connection - cutting out all over the place, every few seconds.  I tried my iPhone 7, same speaker - same.  I tried both phones to each of the other speakers - utter and complete crap connections, all of them via bluetooth.  I've finally had enough.  I can no longer waste my life on these problems because there isn't any QA.  Getting rid of all my speakers as soon as I can and will find another solution.  

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi @jerake75,

Thanks for taking the time to report your findings.  This is the first report of bluetooth problems we've heard of with the 19.0.11 patch.  Are you willing to troubleshoot with us further?  

Which speakers are you testing bluetooth with? Can you try others?

Best,

Brandon