Playing music over wifi
I am looking at putting in a new sound system in our new home and leaning towards Bose SoundTouch 300 and a series of SoundTouch 10's around the house. However, I am a little confused on how user-friendly this really is... I get that they are all easy to setup and use but am I right in thinking they come with the following restrictions:
- You can not stream music over wifi from a mobile (only bluetooth) without the app
- The app does not allow you to stream Apple Music
- The app does not allow you to stream a free version of Spotify
- To play music from your iTunes library you have to have your laptop on at all times unless you copy it all to a NAS device
- You can not use the Optical and HDMI ARC inputs for different devices
I love the idea of the SoundTouch 300 with surround sound speakers and bass box for films... Simple, elegant solution with great sound. However, from what I can see it isn't as simple when you just want to play music. I use the free version of Spotify and have apple music so the only way I can stream music is via bluetooth but then that doesn't help when walking around the house with my phone and it keeps dropping out while others are listening. I thought one solution might be to use the Optical Digital output on my Apple TV but it seems this will not work without unplugging my TV first... Again not very elegant!
Can someone advise if I have the right understanding and if so, how to I stream from a free Spotify account over wifi to the SoundTouch 300.