Highlighted
Thomas Maddocks
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 11, 2017

Playing music over wifi

Hi,

I am looking at putting in a new sound system in our new home and leaning towards Bose SoundTouch 300 and a series of SoundTouch 10's around the house.  However, I am a little confused on how user-friendly this really is...  I get that they are all easy to setup and use but am I right in thinking they come with the following restrictions:

- You can not stream music over wifi from a mobile (only bluetooth) without the app

- The app does not allow you to stream Apple Music

- The app does not allow you to stream a free version of Spotify

- To play music from your iTunes library you have to have your laptop on at all times unless you copy it all to a NAS device

- You can not use the Optical and HDMI ARC inputs for different devices

I love the idea of the SoundTouch 300 with surround sound speakers and bass box for films... Simple, elegant solution with great sound.  However, from what I can see it isn't as simple when you just want to play music.  I use the free version of Spotify and have apple music so the only way I can stream music is via bluetooth but then that doesn't help when walking around the house with my phone and it keeps dropping out while others are listening.  I thought one solution might be to use the Optical Digital output on my Apple TV but it seems this will not work without unplugging my TV first...  Again not very elegant!

Can someone advise if I have the right understanding and if so, how to I stream from a free Spotify account over wifi to the SoundTouch 300.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Playing music over wifi

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you for the post. Welcome to the community! I'll do my best to answer your questions. 

-  You can not stream music over wifi from a mobile (only bluetooth) without the app ******* This is correct. If you want to stream something from your phone without the app, the only option right now is Bluetooth. Older systems of ours didn't have Bluetooth and instead used Airplay. There's also the possibility of Airplay 2, but there haven't been too many specifics defined just yet. The latest on Airplay 2 is on the thread HERE

- The app does not allow you to stream Apple Music ****** Currently the app does not support Apple Music so you'd need to use Bluetooth but we're not sure if the inclusion of Airplay 2 will allow for a new transport option. We will keep the community informed as we learn more.

- The app does not allow you to stream a free version of Spotify ******* Although you can't add a free Spotify account to the app, you could use Bluetooth. Spotify connect won't work here either as it does require a premium account. 

- To play music from your iTunes library you have to have your laptop on at all times unless you copy it all to a NAS device ****** Yes, this is correct. In order for the SoundTouch app to access your tracks, the computer needs to be on and the hard drive spinning. 

- You can not use the Optical and HDMI ARC inputs for different devices ****** Yes, this is also correct. With these inputs you can connect both to the same source for a redundant connection but we wouldn't recommend different sources. You can, however, connect a separate source to the HDMI IN on the soundbar. 

The only other thought on this would be that you may be able to use your Apple TV for streaming music, but you'd want to connect it to the HDMI IN on the soundbar. I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Thomas Maddocks
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 11, 2017

Thanks Brent,

AirPlay 2 certainly sounds like it will address a lot of my concerns. Any update on a release date? The article you sent me suggests this year.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for responding. We don't have a date on the release just yet but when we get new information we will update the community. 

Thank you