izenteno
Participant
Registered since

Nov 18, 2015

Please get Airplay back on the series III

I just got a brand new soundtouch 20 III, and I was very excited until I learned that the Airplay feature was disabled. Bummer! This is one of the main reasons why I chose BOSE over other systems, and now I realize it is no longer available. I am sure the functionality can be enabled, because the hardware is there (WIFI), it already works for the previous version! it's just a matter of turning it back on again. I'm glad you added bluetooth, but I don't see a reason why you should remove Airplay, you should just get it back again. Is this a commercial issue with Apple? If not, just hire a good software developer to fix it. PLEASE.
1 REPLY 1
Angryofm
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

Re: Please get Airplay back on the series III

My guess is that this is very much due to the fall-out between Bose and Apple around the time that Apple aquired Beats and stopped selling Bose...
In a lot of ways it's a good move as the current models are now cheaper due to lack of royalties Bose had to pay to Apple to use Airplay and also because now pretty much *all* portable music devices, not just Apple ones can now stream to a Bose ST and it is streamed to all the rest of the devices in the house which is pretty cool and something that Sonos & Co can't yet do...
Having said that I do prefer Airplay for serious listening where you can stream Apple Lossless from iTunes.  I have the best of both worlds with two Series 2 models with Airplay and two Series3 models with bluetooth.
Yes its a bit of a pain that Bose cant give us a Soundtouch model with  both bluetooth and Airplay, maybe the next series?