BlueMax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

Poor Accoustimass 300 performance

We purchased a Bose Soundbar 300 and Accoustimass 300 about 2 weeks ago.  We don't seem to get acceptable bass output from the Accoustimass 300 when using the default settings.  In order to get meaningful bass response we have to raise the bass level to the maximum and play some hip-hop with very low bass notes.  How do we get a reasonable response from the Accoustimass 300 at the default settings?

This was a very expensive accessory and what good is it if the lowest five bass settings produce no audible effect?  We saw complaints of this nature about a year ago, but they were marked as resolved.  Please note that this post post dates those complaints.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Poor Accoustimass 300 performance

Hello @BlueMax,

Thank you for the post. I would like know a few more things to understand this issue. Have you run AdaptIQ? Have you tried hard-wiring the Acoustimass 300 to the SoundTouch 300 to see if it improves? The cable you would need to test this would be a 3.5mm to 3.5mm Auxiliary cable. As for placement of the bass module in the room, where is it located? Does this happen with all sources or are some better than the other?

Let us know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

BlueMax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

Thank you for the reply, Joel.  We think we have perhaps resolved this issue with a tech over the phone.  The Accoustimass seems to be responding better, but seems a little bashful at the default mid-level.  We'll keep experimenting and update you later.  However, we do still have a few questions as follows:

FIRST, what is the quality of the connection to the Accoustimass 300 with a 3.5 mm audio cable versus a wireless connection?  Is either better?

SECOND, when the Accoustimass 300 is connected with an audio cable, does that override the wireless connection, or are they both active?

Thank you for your assistance.

Highlighted
Pomps
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

Hi BlueMax
Would you mind sharing the advice you received from tech by phone? Always on the lookout for potentially new tweaks.
Thanks
slicksurf
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 31, 2017

Hi

I have to admit I have not updated mine from v14 and the bass response from the Accoustimass 300 is precisely why I paid so much for the setup. Brilliant.
Went back to the bose shop to hear the update and (accepted that it’s clearly not acoustically the same) it sounded a lot weaker.
It’s a shame really. The hardware really can deliver stunning bass performance to the point that it’s a case of feeling it not just hearing it (and that’s just mid bass setting).
Ever since the woes of v15 firmware I have been reluctant to update which is such a shame.
But really don’t want to lose the brilliant sound that I’ve got at the moment.
I do hope one day Bose can recreate the sound from v14 and below.
RDking07
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 28, 2018

Just purchased the SoundTouch 300 and AccoustiMass SW set. While the soundbar sounds fine, the sub seems awfully weak compared to the store setup. I just went through a painfully long update, but I'm wondering how do I determine what version of firmware my system is at, the SoundTouch App version is 18.1.4, Interface version of 19.1.7, but is that the firmware version of the hardware? Further, does the update include both soundbar and sub? The system is interfaced via Optical input with my LG TV (65") and is working just fine with Alexa skill. Again, main concern is weak sub volume/response.

slicksurf
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 31, 2017

Firmware version can be found in Settings > About > <Speaker Name>

Firstly have you adjusted the bass using the remote? Press Bass and use the volume control to adjust.

Second, have you done the AdaptIQ setup? If you haven't, try it. 

If you have, then what Bose told me to do over the phone is to remove power to the Accoustimass 300, rerun the AdaptIQ, then plug it back in. This is to stop the Accoustimass EQ being tweaked by the AdaptIQ so it stays at its own defaults. (You may or may not need to reset the soundbar as per the manual before doing this)

I've managed to find an old version of the Android version of Soundtouch App to match the current version, so for the time being, I'm staying with v14. If i uderstand correctly from what I was told on the phone, the problem with v14 was that AdaptIQ didnt work properly for the Accoustimass 300 so the bass stayed at full, which can be recreated by doing the above steps. I'll update when Bose are allowed to release Airplay 2, though I was also told the AdaptIQ setting will stay as is for me, so should sound the same. 

Thanks to Bose UK support for such detailed explainations of all the issues I've had, and providing a range of different options to address them.