Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2015

Post Update 9.0.41: Massive CPU usage on Mac

Hello
After updating yesterday to 9.0.41 almost ALL my Macs have CPU issues with Bose Soundtouch Server.
Environment:
Home-LAN with Server, 5 Macs (iMac, Macbook Pro, Air, Mini), some Windows (XP, 7, 8.1).
On ALL Macs except one, the CPU is used by 100% by Sound Touch Server. Only one Mac, my Air, has a large Library, the others have more or less empty librarys. All run Mavericks except one running Yosemite.
My iMac 21" from 2011 (Mavericks) is the only one running without issues, and it has an almost empty library.
All Macs have ample RAM, from 4-16 GB and are top up 2 date. All have been running Bose for a year without problems.
My Mac Mini Server is down, that contains the primary library.
That could be a cause, but: my iMac 21 does not have ANY Issues, so that doesn't seem to be the cause?
Thanks for any ideas...
Andy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Re: Post Update 9.0.41: Massive CPU usage on Mac

George - I resolved it via a workaround that may help you to diagnose the issue:
It occured to me that soundtouch server is spinning trying to do something and as such is peaking CPU.  This was validated via the fact that I had another copy on another mac working with normal CPU utilization.  That mac though, had a local itunes library syncing with soundtouch
So for the sake of it, in the mac with the CPU issue, I added a mock "My music Library" local on soundtouch.  Immediately the CPU utilization dropped to normal levels hence in my opinion it was just trying to initiate a routine that scans for local libraries.  I then went and removed the local library from soundtouch (as it was empty anyways) - CPU levels remained in low levels hence the problem did not come back.

So my hypothesis is that the s/w is looping somewhere after the upgrade trying to initialize a connection to a local library or just the music library service.  Once that connection is satisfied, it stops spinning.
Hope this helps 🙂
Also looking in return for some features to become top priority for you to address - namely:
1. Additional sources from cinemate and lifestyle to stream through soudtouch network
2. Airplay Server capability on cinemate and lifestyle to bring it to parity with the soudtouch and SA-4 units I own.  It really sucks that I can't airplay to two of my main units and I see no reason for this whatsoever to be the case?
3. Ability to Airplay to the entire network from a group lead
All seem to me like software related and should be addressed at a minimum to stop me and others questioning why Sonos can do it and you guys can't???
Thanks

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello Andy,
Thank you very much for letting us know about this issue. It seems like the issue may be related to the music library. We have a couple of questions and steps to try to isolate this issue:

1. For troubleshooting sake, try to remove the music libraries that are attached from SoundTouch account. Does this alleviate the CPU usage from the application?
  2. If removing the libraries resolves the issue temporarily, try to add them back one by one. Does the issue occur after a certain library is attached?
  3. Is the music library able to be accessed during that time where the CPU usage is at 100%? Or does it display a "1620" error message?
  4. Is the SoundTouch Music Server constantly using 100% of the CPU, or is it intermittent?

Let us know the answers to those questions and we can attempt to isolate the issue further.

Thanks for your time.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2015

Hello
I’ve removed the Music Library from all afflicted Macs (Actually, all 6, one isn’t afflicted)
My 2 Windows boxes don’t seem to be afflicted, one XP Pro, One Win 7 Ultimate. Both haven’t displayed any issues yet.
The CPU is constantly at 100% (Actually slightly OVER 100% like 101-102. But Total usage seems to imply only One CPU is afflicted. So the core 2 Duos would say using around 102% CPU, but the bar would display around 50%. But that’s really constantly at 100+%…
I am able to go into the Music Library, i then get a message saying the library isn’t available.
But that’s on the on mac still working, the others have the library all removed, so only Internet Radio is left of my presets.
At least those work… 😉
Thanks for helping.
If it helps, I could make a Bose / Mac available. Other people consider me a guru in anything linux and beyond, and I master DNS, NAT/PAT and a few other things. Not among my talents are unfortunately Bose Update Issues, but that’s where I hope you can come in - this time literally… 😉
I could use say Team-Viewer on my Mac or provide you with direct Port-Access to a Bose (I’d need to know what Port, I can even translate that on the fly on my firewall to something banal like telnet (Port 23) which isn’t used on my network…
Best regards from Switzerland
Andy Wismer

My Home LAN, the Bose(s) are at 14:00 o’clock…
Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Same here by the way... Bose Soundtouch Server is 98.7%-99.9% constantly and is impacting Mac's processing and battery capacities.  No itunes library on my mac so that would not be the issue.  high CPU usage when the app is in complete idle mode and none of the systems are turned on.  I can't keep it on with this kind of utilization.  This happened after the latest update.  Stopping and restarting the app does not make a difference neither does rebooting.
I suspect the app misbehaves somewhere and any insights to a fix ETA would be most welcome - hoping you guys can react swiftly
Avi
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi  Avi and Andy,
Just to update you: We have escalted this report to our software team. We will let you know here when we need more information on this, or have more troubleshooting for you to try.
Thank you.
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

George - I resolved it via a workaround that may help you to diagnose the issue:
It occured to me that soundtouch server is spinning trying to do something and as such is peaking CPU.  This was validated via the fact that I had another copy on another mac working with normal CPU utilization.  That mac though, had a local itunes library syncing with soundtouch
So for the sake of it, in the mac with the CPU issue, I added a mock "My music Library" local on soundtouch.  Immediately the CPU utilization dropped to normal levels hence in my opinion it was just trying to initiate a routine that scans for local libraries.  I then went and removed the local library from soundtouch (as it was empty anyways) - CPU levels remained in low levels hence the problem did not come back.

So my hypothesis is that the s/w is looping somewhere after the upgrade trying to initialize a connection to a local library or just the music library service.  Once that connection is satisfied, it stops spinning.
Hope this helps 🙂
Also looking in return for some features to become top priority for you to address - namely:
1. Additional sources from cinemate and lifestyle to stream through soudtouch network
2. Airplay Server capability on cinemate and lifestyle to bring it to parity with the soudtouch and SA-4 units I own.  It really sucks that I can't airplay to two of my main units and I see no reason for this whatsoever to be the case?
3. Ability to Airplay to the entire network from a group lead
All seem to me like software related and should be addressed at a minimum to stop me and others questioning why Sonos can do it and you guys can't???
Thanks

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2015

Hi Smurf & George
I can confirm that the workaround by smurf (above) does seem to work.
Terminating the Bose Soundserver and starting anew seems to pose no problems, even after the music library is removed. CPU stays down.
That meens a flag got set somewhere internally, and it's not wasting CPU cycles to do something...
Thanks
Andy
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Andy & Smurf,

Thank you for sharing the solution you found! We will continue our own work on what might have caused an error like this, but for now we are very glad you are back up and running!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 29, 2015

Hi, on my Mac, the Soundserver App winds up to 160% on system startup then quiets down after about a minute.  I'd like to know how to NOT start this app when my system starts.  
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 22, 2015

Hello TheHanoshes,
If you would like to stop the Soundtouch server from launching on startup, you can do so with the following steps:

1. From the desktop of your Mac, click on the small apple icon in the upper left-hand corner
  2. In the resulting menu, choose System Preferences
  3. In the System Preferences pane, choose the Users & Groups or Accounts icon. 
  4. Near the upper part of the resulting pane, choose the Login Items tab. You should now see a list of applications which launch at startup, with the Soundtouch Server among them.
  5. Click on the Soundtouch Server so that it is highlighted and then click the “-“ (minus) button further down on the screen.

This should stop the Soundtouch Server from launching when you are first starting the Mac.