Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Powerline Adapters, Mesh Networks, Access Points

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering what approach the Bose team (or anyone running a headache-free SoundTouch setup) would recommend for establishing a stronger network in our home while also maintaining maximum reliability from the SoundTouch System.

From my most recent (and brief) experiences, it seems as though the speakers can be erratic when they're not all exactly on the same network and using the exact same access point. That could just be an issue on my end, but it's something I've noticed.

Is a powerline network the way to go ideally? Or is a mesh network like Eero or Orbi better suited for SoundTouch? I'd like to expand the coverage in my home (and have one unified network), but I want to make sure that the SoundTouch speakers will continue to work optimally.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

7 REPLIES 7
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Powerline Adapters, Mesh Networks, Access Points

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the post.  What I do at my house is I have an Ethernet cable ran from my office to my living room, and in there I have a 5 port switch, along with an Access Point.  If you can run an Ethernet cable and connect an Access Point, this would be the best option.  You can connect an Access Point via Wi-Fi and set it up as a wireless repeater, but it's effectively going to half the speed of anything that is connected to it.

Mesh networks are not technically supported by SoundTouch, but if you can set up VLANs, you might be able to get it to work.

Thanks,

Brandon

seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, running an ethernet cable like that won't really work for me in my situation.

I've become very intrigued today by what I'm reading about mesh networks, specifically Eero. Is there any reason why something like this won't work with SoundTouch?

Thanks,
Sean
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again Sean,

Not a problem!

I've looked into the mesh networking question a bit more over the weekend, and I've come across a bit of info from a colleague of mine.  He stated that there is generally good success with mesh networking, as long as "they only have one subnet/DHCP server as well as support multicast".  He went on to say that he personally tested this and "successfully setup about 8 systems to a Linksys Velop mesh network last week. As one of them[Linksys Velop devices] is acting as the main router and the others acting as access points this configuration should not be an issue.

I think this may also work with Eero, but we would have to investigate whether or not a single device would take care of DHCP, or if it's taken care of by multiple devices. 

I hope this info helps!

Best,

Brandon

seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Just in case anyone else is interested, I also emailed Eero about this issue and got this back:

"The primary eero will be handling all of the DHCP and leasing. You will be able to setup the eero network, and the speakers can connect to any of the eeros. The secondary eeros just pass the traffic through to the speaker from the primary eero. You will be good to go!"

So... I think I'll probably take a stab at getting Eero up and running, then adding the speakers from there.

Thanks.

Nyazai
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

For what it's worth, and it may not be helpful to you specifically but I thought I'd share my experience, I have 7 SoundTouch speakers all on wi-fi in a 5000sq ft home and they all work perfectly, even though some of them report signal strength as "poor" in the app. I use an Apple TimeCapsule as my wifi router (same as other Apple routers, but with the addition of the hard drive). I have tried other newer routers, and power line adapters, wi-fi extenders, etc, but nothing so far has beat the range and consistently of the Apple router. It's located upstairs in a fairly central part of the house fortunately, but even there more expensive "super routers" I've tried haven't worked nearly as well. Just my perspective, but I personally swear by this Apple router I've had for years now. It just works. Don't use the cheap one your internet provider gives you! Just disable wi-fi on that one, and connect the Apple one to it via Ethernet. Don't know why, but they do make great wi-fi routers.
Bryanmw
Participant
Registered since

Jan 15, 2017

I now have a headache free Soundtouch setup - one Wireless Adapter, a ST30 and Wave iv.   I have a 3 story, 100 year old (thick plaster walls), with wifi router on top floor (where the Bell DSL line comes in). All three Bose are on the ground floor.  Had multiple wifi drops during playback and long waits for the ios app to find speakers.  wifi reported as poor or fair on all three devices.  In the end my wifi signal wasnt consistently strong enough in areas where the Bose gear is - solved it all with TPLINk powerline adapters. 

Total of 5 Av1200 TPlink adapters.  One poweline adapter at topfloor router, one at ST30 and one at Wave iv device, one in the basement office macmini, and one for apple TV in the basement ht.  Checking file transfer speeds with Speedy Net app 78-98Mbps consistently realworld between every device (wifi doesnt even come close to that speed - but its the varibaility of the signal that causes the drop outs - not directly a speed issue).  all devices connected via supplied cat 5 cable and powered by passthrough plug.  Simple to set up, worked the first time, and gives me the flexibility to get a reliable network anywhere i have a power plug.  earlier versions of powerline adapters weren't as fast and had trouble crossing phases and circuits - ive done abit of experimenting -although i do get 20pct lower throughput when crossing phases - its still dramatically faster and more reliable than wifi.  There is no difference in throughput on different circuits / same phase.  

my only regret - buying a Wireless Link Adapter that does not have an ethernet plug! My advice to Bose product management - Build in powerline compatibility into the product.  Hope that helps.

seanmier
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Just weighing back in on all of this.

Yesterday, I installed an Eero network in my home (with 3 eero devices), and so far... this seems to have fixed everything. I called Eero during the setup process and described my situation and they were able to set my Eeros up as bridged. So far... my SoundTouch speakers have been constantly accessible and snappier than ever.

If anyone else is suffering from weak spots throughout their home and/or SoundTouch speakers that are losing their connection, I would recommend looking into Eero or other mesh network solutions.

If anything changes, I'll be sure to report back here, but so far... things are GREAT!