Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Presets work and the app shows a speaker disconnected

I have a SoundTouch 20, a pair of SoundTouch 10s, and a Wave SoundTouch.  I use an iphone and an Android phone for the app.  I've experience vast improvements with the last few speaker and app updates but there is a problem that continues to plague me with the app.

I have no problems with the presets (physical buttons on the speakers) for streaming internet music; they always work!  Then I will get an occasional speaker to disappear/disconnect from the app.  The missing/disconnected (grayed-out) speaker's physical presets still work, yet the app needs me to reconnect the speaker.

On a happy note, the latest version of the app makes the reconnection process much, much smoother and faster!

So my question is: Why do the spaeker's physical presets always work, yet a random speaker will disconnect/gray-out from the app requiring a reconnect??

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Re: Presets work and the app shows a speaker disconnected

Update:

When I wrote about the missing speakers in the app last week, the SoundTouch 20 was the missing speaker.  I added this speaker back in the app and everything was working.

This morning, when I launched the app, all four speakers are missing!  The presets on any of the four speakers work and play with no problem...

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi ST20, 

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like what you're experiencing may be related to a bug that our software team has recently discovered. While they're investigating a fix, there are a few steps that can be tried to see if we can set up a workaround. Can you log into your router, set a static IP address for the system (or lengthen the DHCP lease time), save the change, unplug your router as well as the system from power for 30 seconds, and re-test? Please let us know. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

I will give it a try, however the bug is presently gone....

When all four speakers were disconnected, I just put the phone down and decided to reconnect the speakers later.

That afternoon, with no intervention of my own, three of the four speakers were connected.

I reconnected the missing SoundTouch 20 yesterday.  Today, they are still all connected.  I will try the suggested router changes and report back...

Robert

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Brent,

I've noticed through the week that at times all of the speakers are there, and at other times a speaker is missing.  One day it was one of the ST 10s.  This morning, it was the Wave SoundTouch.  The speaker physical presets still work.  I made no interventions (adding or reconnecting speakers or rebooting the cable modem router).

The speakers and the apps are connected to an Xfinity branded dual-band Arris TG1682G.  For background, I've had problems with speaker disconnects discussed previously in this forum using a different single band model Xfinity cable modem/router.

While the WaveTouch is still disconnected in the app, I logged into the cable modem router and it shows offline.   On the WaveTouch, I selected streaming preset, and the music starting playing just fine.  It still shows offline on the cable modem/router.  Hmm.

Comcast does not allow static IPs.  The DHPC lease is 7 days.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 07, 2018 7:02:25 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 14, 2018 7:14:22 AM

During this period, I lost connection to two different speakers, at different times in the app, and one speaker was reconnected in the app with no intervention by me.

Robert

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the reply with all the information. See if you are able to lengthen the DHCP lease time for the systems. It seems they are attempting to renew the DHCP lease time at 50% of the time, so if set to 7 days they will renew at 3.5 days. I just wanted to let you know that engineering is aware of this bug and are actively investigating a fix.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Thank you, Joel.  The DHCP lease time is not an option in the Comcast modem.  I also do not see how to change the DHCP lease time in Windows 10.

FYI, it is my understanding that Comcast will shorten the DHCP lease time occasionnally when they perform network maintenance.  We users have no control over this...

Robert

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Joel,

This morning, without any intervention from me, all of the speakers in the app are connected.  I checked the DHCP lease:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:16:20 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:16:20 AM

Next I logged into the cable modem and the WaveTouch no longer shows Offline. 

During this entire period, the physical soundtouch presets worked on all the speakers.  The failure is only when using the app (a speaker would be disconnected...)

Robert

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

HI ST20, 

Thank you for responding. There is an update available now that should correct the DHCP bug. We have it mentioned in the thread HERE. Can you try to update and see if the issue is resolved? Please let us know. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Your timing is great.  This afternoon, I launched the app and there were updates for all for speakers.  All four speakers were available and none of them showed up disconnected in the cable modem.

The updates completed successfully and the speakers rebooted.  The physical presets work.

In the app, there are now two disconnected speakers; the SoundTouch 20 and one of the SoundTouch 10s.  I recycled the app and the speakers remained disconnected in the app.  I did not attempt to reconnect the speakers in the app.

In the router, the SoundTouch 10 is Offline.  There are several offline host names that are hex and maybe one of those is the SoundTouch 20...

robert