Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Re: Presets work and the app shows a speaker disconnected

Jan 18, 08:45 ET update.  I have made zero changes other than the speaker firmware updates yesterday.

I launched the app this moring and all four speakers are disconnected.  Three of them show up Offline in the cable router (the SoundTouch 20 is not listed as either Online or Offline).

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:16:20 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 19, 2018 7:35:26 AM

Again, the physical presets work fine...

Robert

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the updates after installing the new software.

Could we do a power cycle on the wireless router, along with the SoundTouch systems?  Once that is done, do all of them connect and stay connected?

Let us know so we can further troubleshoot if they do not function correctly.

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Jan 18, 15:40 ET update:

In the app, two speakers have reconnected with no intervention by me.  Presently, the SoundTouch 20 and the Wave SoundTouch are disconnected in the app.

In the cable modem router, only the Wave SoundTouch is shown as offline.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:16:20 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 19, 2018 7:35:25 AM

Robert

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello Robert,

What it sounds like, is that the systems are still connected to the network if they are able to play by the physical preset buttons. Have you tried force closing the application on your devices and re launching the app? Also there might be a few helpful steps in another post mentioned by Brian, located HERE

Let us know if any of this helps.

Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

I've seen some of those complaints about streaming quality.  I've never had that problem.  My problem is only random disconnected speakers.  And actually, the app updates have improved things for me.  The status of the speakers is the same regardless of Android or iOS.  The earlier app (when I got started with SoundTouch) was a nightmare...  you can see my earlier posts.

As part of that lengthy action plan from the link in your post (a genuine pain) I will first try a complete reboot of the router and all speakers.

Jan 20 18:40 ET before rebooting everything

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 19, 2018 8:12:37 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 21, 2018 6:27:51 PM

I will power everthing off, then bring up the cable modem.  Then I will power up the speakers...

Robert

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

After power cycling the cable modem and all the speakers

Jan 20 19:18 ET

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 20, 2018 7:02:16 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:02:16 PM

The presets on all four speakers work.

In the app, the SoundTouch 20 and Wave SoundTouch remain disconnected.

In the cable modem, only the Wave SoundTouch is shown as Offline (the two ST10s are Online).  The ST 20 is missing.

Frankly, after reading Brian's action plan for fixing these problems, this is clearly a shotgun approach.  Bose will never get to root cause with this kind of problem determination.  The app is the weak link with SoundTouch and with more and more vendors coming up with similar devices, I think management better get real serious about fixing the app.  These forums can be found with a simple Google search and future customers might be scared away to the competition.... 

Robert

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Jan 21st at 07:00 ET

Fired up the app and all four speakers are connected.  No intervention by me since the power cycling of the cable modem and the speakers last night.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 20, 2018 7:02:16 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 22, 2018 6:57:28 AM

In the cable modem, the SoundTouch 20 and the two ST10s show up as Online.  The Wave SoundTouch does not show up as either Online or Offline (unless it is one of the listed mac addresses).

Robert

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Robert,

I really do appreciate all the testing results you have provided to me in great detail. What is the make, model and age of your router? From what you have been describing to me, if the system is able to play by pressing physical presets, this is a communication related issue. When was this last working correctly for you?

Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Hi Joel,

A little history:

I have always had problems with the app losing connection to a speaker(s).  When I first got the SoundTouch 20, I had problems not only with the app, but also the physical presets.  Later I added a pair of ST 10s and physical preset problem persisted.  With the speaker and app updates over the past year, I no longer have problems with the presets.  Since then I have added the Wave SoundTouch and never had a problem with the physical presets (only the app).  This was all with a previous Xfinity/Comcast single-band router.

The current router is about 6 months old.  It is issued by Xfinity/Comcast and made by Arris, model TG1682 (dual-band).  I am using the 2.4 Ghz band which supports the Wave SoundTouch and the SoundTouch 20.  The router swap made no difference (no worse or no better).

The last successful connection to all four speakers in the app was Jan 21st at 07:00 ET (see my previous post).  All four speakers are still connected in the app (no failure).  This is true in either the iOS or Android app.

Since that time, there has been a new lease:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 22, 2018 7:52:20 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:11:17 PM

Interestingly, Comcast have been shortening these leases...

Robert

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I have read through you past posts, have you tried factory defaulting your speakers and trying the 5ghz band? Was there any difference? Have you also given thought to purchasing your own router where you would have the control over all the settings? I am not saying that you would need to purchase a router, but since you have had issues with last 2 routers.

Regards,

Joel - Bose Support