Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Presets work and the app shows a speaker disconnected

Hello @ST20,

Thank you for getting back to us. I am sending a new request to your email today. There is an recently updated way to retain system logs, instructions can be found here. We will also need to gather application logs from a computer as well.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Joel,

I got the dropbox email but not the instuctions (no link)....

Robert

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

The very first thing to try is to set up your ST boxes with a static ip in your router.

Each ST box has 2 mac addresses, one is used for the wifi set up process (connecting directly to the box during setup) and the other is the MAC address that you will need to key in to your router and allocate a fixed ip to it so that the router will always allocate that ip to that ST box.

you will find this info using the app - settings/about then select each ST in turn and note the MAC address...

since allocating fixed (static) ip’s to all of my 6 ST boxes I have found that the discovery of them via the app is now quite a bit more reliable, nowhere near perfect (still find that I have to quit the app (iPad) and restart to find *all* 6 perhaps once a day instead of 5 times a day) but much less frustration and hair tearing....

its a pity that we all need to become network engineers for our expensive ST boxes to have some degree of reliable working but that’s the way it is - hopefully we can all help each other on this forum to get some acceptable performance from our costly hardware investment ($2500+ in my case)

pls let us know if this has helped, hopefully it does and we can help Bose to provide us with future updates that work without all the workarounds that are necessary right now....

edit: I just re-read this thread right from the start and it seems that your router does not have options for setting static ip! That’s a big surprise, didn’t know that such a device exists, also a big disappointment as it is my opinion that setting a static ip for each ST device makes a noticeable improvement to discovery in the Bose app....

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Thank you Angryofm for your input and suggestions.

The larger problem is Bose must design this app to work with a wide range of routers and router configurations.  Workarounds are temporary and do not address the root cause.

I'm expecting instuctions from Bose on how to collect and upload app and speaker data so we can start proper problem determination instead of the long list of 'try this, try that...'

Robert

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Joel,

"There is an recently updated way to retain system logs, instructions can be found here."   <<<<   there is no link!!

Robert

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

Hi Robert, 

I agree that Bose need to fix their App but to be honest I don't think they can, the constant updates usually fix an issue or two but then cause new problems...

The Bose App has been very poor for years now, IMHO the old *black* App was more stable and also more user-friendly, especially if you have a large number of ST units.

By my estimates I would say 50% of forum posts are about problems with the poorly designed app and they could be easily fixed by NOT FORCING app and firmware updates on us and better still - allowing us to go back to a previous firmware where necessary.

This will probably never happen and IMHO neither will a fully stable App that works across all wi-fi networks.

Bose could probably design and market a wifi bridge that uses it's own wifi netwrok for just the ST units, something like the Sonos Bridge that is sold as an option for Sonos users that have wifi problems.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2015

Angryofm,

Interesting you mention Sonos.  With all of the excitement about the Apple HomePod, the comparisons were against Sonos and Google Home Max... there was zero mention of Bose.  I don't know if that is because the install base is small, or some other reason.

I don't use the app very much.   If I did, I would have demanded my money back a long time ago.

I want to help Bose fix this, so we will see what happens.  I'm still waing on Bose to send me the data upload instructions......

Robert