Highlighted
trlong1
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Problem Synchronizing WiFi Streaming FM to Wave SoundTouch Music System IV, SoundTouch 10 Speakers..

Not finding any specific posts regarding this, apparently, I have to start a "new subject".

I recently purchased a Bose Wave SoundTouch Music System IV, Bose Link, and two Bose SoundTouch 10 wireless speakers for my wife, so she could listen to the same music, or streaming FM throughout the house.  The components are all set up for our home WiFi.  When I open the Bose app, I can get streaming FM through one of the SoundTouch 10 speakers, or the other, but not via the SoundTouch Music System IV, even when selecting "Play All", but if I do manage to get more than one component "streaming" FM (via the Pandora source), the system, or speakers are way out of synchronization (by, at least, 20 - 30 seconds... not just a second or two).  I have been able to play some Pandora source music, a couple of times, through all components, via my home WiFi, but now everything is out of synch.  If there is a specific sequence to synch all of the components, I would surely appreciate some one telling me how.

My wife really wanted to just push a button and hear what she wants to hear, throughout the house.  That may have been a pipe dream, but this should not be so complicated as to frustrate her and make the entire system "user unfriendly".

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Problem Synchronizing WiFi Streaming FM to Wave SoundTouch Music System IV, SoundTouch 10 Spe...

Hi trlong1,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having with your SoundTouch systems and Play All.

Are you trying to play Broadcast FM from the Wave SoundTouch IV to your other speakers, or are you trying to play an Internet Radio station?  I would recommend playing an internet radio station, as you will have much better results and audio quality doing so.

If you go into the SoundTouch app and go to Settings>About and select each individual system, what are the RSSI values?  These are the signal strength readings to your wireless router.  We want to make sure they are all 'Good' or better.

Let me know so we can get this resolved and working properly for you.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

trlong1
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Re: Problem Synchronizing WiFi Streaming FM to Wave SoundTouch Music System IV, SoundTouch 10 Spe...

Hi Brandon,
Thank you for responding.  As for your question "Are you trying to play Broadcast FM from the Wave SoundTouch IV to your other speakers, or are you trying to play an Internet Radio station?", please read my querie more carefully.  I specifically said "Internet FM", i.e. streaming FM (I think I said via PANDORA).  Maybe I was not clear.  As for Broadcast FM, I know that is lower quality and, as the only component with a normal FM antenna, is the main Wave ToundTouch Music System IV, can no re-broadcast a broadcast radio signal, picked up on its antenna, via our WiFi, to the other components.

Thank you for the advise, regarding Settings>About and check the RSSI values for each component.  I will check them all, as soon as I have a few minutes. and let you know the results.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again trlong1,

My apologies, I completely missed that.  My mistake!

Let me know what those RSSI values read and we can continue troubleshooting from there.

As well, we have released a software update for all SoundTouch systems.  When you are checking RSSI, can you also update your systems as well?

Best,

Brandon 

Highlighted
trlong1
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Brandon,  Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

1st - RSSI is "Great" on all components.

The other day, I called Bose Support explained the problem and asked that they "walk me through" using the Bose app to turn on the Bose Wave Soundtouch Music System IV to the desired source (i.e. Pandora streaming internet radio), via my Moto-Z Andriod (home WiFi), then turn, add, or "Play All" on each of my other components (two SoundTouch 10 speakers, and the Bose SoundTouch Wireless LInk).  I had already used the app to "add" and connect to my home WiFi, got them all working with selections from Pandora, but could not get them to stream internet FM (from Pandora), without major delays from one Bose speaker/system to the other.  After numerous attempts to follow the support tech's instructions, all failing, nearly an hour on the phone, and their wanting me to "go to my computer and allow them "remote access", along with bringing all of the distrubuted components to the same room as the computer (i.e. unplugging everything in the house, carrying it all to one room, and connecting them to power... W(here was I going to find a power strip, and desktop for all of that in one room?), I gave up.

I did, finally, get it all to work, streaming local internet FM (via "Pandora"), throghout the house, by "trial and error", after another hour, or more.  However, I can not explain to my wife how I did it, and don't believe that my wife, whose Christmas present the entire system was, will ever get that working, seamlessly, and easily, just from her i-Phone, without a VERY simple set of instructions.

The bottom line is; She wants to "turn on the Bose Wave SoundTouch Music System IV" to whatever she wants to listen to, and have it play throghout the house.  It should play through the Music System IV, after turning it on to what source she wants, the two Bose Soundtouch 10 speakers, and the speakers from the A/V receiver/amp (the Bose SoundTouch Wireless Link connection).  I know she can not just use the "Music System IV"  remote to turn on the "Broadcast" FM and have that "transmit" the signal to the other components, or transmit the music from a CD in the "Music Sytem IV".  However, she should be able to use the "app" for the internet FM stream, or other "internet", or smart phone play list, simply.  Also, she knows she has to turn on the A/V receiver/Amp, and set it to the "Aux" input for the connected "Link" for those speakers.  As all of the Bose components are already "added", linked via our home Wifi, she, and I have the Bose App on our smartphones, can provide a simple list of "1st do this, then do that (Hopefully very few steps)?  If so, I would greatly appreciate the help.  If not, I'll have to go back to "trial and error" and write down what I did that, finally, worked... (and then try to walk her through the steps).

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello trlong1,

Thank you for getting back to us. We have a helpful video series located HERE, this will walk you through the process of accomplishing Play All/Grouping. We usually recommend using the system with the strongest signal strength to start playing on and initiating Play All from. To find the system with the strongest signal strength, open the SoundTouch app, go to Settings, choose About and tap on each system to find the one with the best signal strength as your "Main" system to start Play All with. 

Let me know if this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support