PhilM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2014

Problem grouping

Have a SoundTouch 20 and SA4 amp. Both connect to my home wifi and play individual presets no problem. I cannot get them to group. Wifi signal strength is good (not excellent).
Based on the SoundTouch app, they are grouped, but they play separate music. Doesn't matter is the ST20 or the SA4 are the master unit.
5 REPLIES 5
Jordan
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Re: Problem grouping

hi Phil.
Make sure both of system are in the same wifi/router.
You can try :
1. Play everywhere, then both of them will play the same song
2. If you want to play the same music from ST20, choose and play ST20 first and then group your SA4 then your SA4 will follow the song from ST20
3. If you want to play the same music from SA4, choose and play SA4 first and then group your ST20 then your ST20 will follow the song from SA4.
rgds
Jordan

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about the trouble! Grouped playback does require substantially more bandwidth than individual playback of both speakers would. If possible we would reccommend testing the product designated as the group "master" with either "great" signal strength or an ethernet connection to the router, just to see if the same problem occurs in this configuration.
Here are some other considerations to look into with a problem like this:

1. Do you use just a single router for Wi-Fi in your home, or do you have multiple access points which spread the signal across a greater range?
  2. Do you have the identical problem when using both the Desktop app and the Mobile app to create a group?
  3. What source are you trying to trying to play to mutltiple zones? Some special sources, such as AirPlay from an iOS device or a music player connected to the AUX input, can only be played to a single speaker at a time. These sources cannot be grouped for multi-speaker playback.

Please let us know what you find with that test and the details from those three questions above. Thank you.
Highlighted
PhilM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2014

Hello, George and/or Jordan
The problem appears to have traced to my home network settings. I am using an Apple Time Capsule/AirPort as the wi-fi router, with two AirPort express devices being used to extend my network. I found that one of the network settings for the Time Capsule was incorrect. When I fixed that, grouping was successful on the SoundTouch devices.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Phil

Phil,
We're glad to hear this feature is working correctly for you.  For the future we would be very curious to know which setting on the time-capsule needed adjustment to solve this unique symptom with playback?

Thanks for sharing, and happy holidays!

PhilM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2014

My TimeCapsule is ethernet connected to a Verizon DSL modem. The modem initiates connection with the net using DHCP. I had the TimeCapsule set to connect with the modem using DHCP, which I think set up some networking confusion. I reset the TimeCapsule to connect using “Static” with the modem, and all was well. Related, I think that this stabilized the wi fi network with regards to the 2 airport express units, allowing more stable networking by the SoundTouch devices. Not well versed on networking issues, so I may be way off base, but things are working. Phil