unipablo80
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 29, 2015

Question about surround sound soundtouch 300

Hi. I'm looking to buy the soundtouch 300 with the subwoofer and the rear speakers. I own the cinemate 130 and I'm happy with the sound. It just doesnt have the surround sound i like when i watch movies and tv shows. I have the opportunity to sell mine and buy the full package for almost the same money.

Is the surround sound from the 300 good enough? does it decode real 5.1 sound from netflix and other sources?

Thanks

Pablo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Question about surround sound soundtouch 300

Author Accepted Answer selected by unipablo80

Hi all,

I am glad to see a lively discussion on this subject in the community. I would like to offer some information related to the questions asked.

unipablo80's questions:

1) Is the surround sound of the 300 good enough?

Comparing it to your previous CineMate 130 system, there are some differences in audio. The CineMate 130 soundbar has a driver complement of 5 2" twiddlers and 2 PhaseGuide drivers. The SoundTouch 300 soundbar has a driver complement of 4 oval transducers and 1 round tweeter at the center. The utilization of proprietary QuietPort and PhaseGuide technology is present in both soundbars but has been redesigned in the newer model to improve the room-filling capability and bass production of the soundbar. The SoundTouch 300 is designed to deliver a great home theater performance on its own. However, I would recommend getting the Acoustimass 300 to accompany the SoundTouch 300 soundbar if you are looking for a deeper bass performance similar to what the Acoustimass added to the performance of your CineMate 130. 

2) Does it decode real 5.1 sound from Netflix and other sources?

The SoundTouch 300 system can decode Dolby Digital and DTS audio formats. Netflix usually outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 which is absolutely compatible.

Kirkobangz's questions:

1) Will VI300's add to the experience?

I'm glad you found that the Virtually Invisible 300 rear speakers added to the surround sound performance. As beneficial as PhaseGuide technology is to the surround sound capability of the soundbar, the VI300's definitely boost the effect of the rear channels, especially when decoding 5.1 audio formats from Netflix. Hulu seems to only output stereo audio, but the SoundTouch 300 is designed to get the best surround sound effect possible from a stereo source.

2) Are the cables that connect from the receiver box to the speaker cut to length?

The speaker cable for the VI300 is 20 ft in length. There is currently no option for an alternate length of speaker cable. I appreciate your feedback and will make sure we take the suggestion for alternate length speaker cables into consideration. We are working on making a solution available through adapters.

10 REPLIES 10
Kirkobangz
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 26, 2017

Bump...

Interested in this as well. At the moment I am using Netflix or Hulu almost exclusively and curious if the VI300's will add to the experience.

unipablo80
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 29, 2015

Anyone?

AirAssault
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 13, 2017

I have not used either of those services but on Amazon Prime video the surround kicks butt..... I don't see why it wouldn't do the same on those other services.  I have the 300 with AM and VI speakers. 

SO if you have a chance to pick up this system do so.... you won't be dissappointed. 

Bosethusiast
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 30, 2016

The VI's DO add to the experience. I'm using Netflix and Apple TV and am very pleased.

Best,

Bosethusiast

Kirkobangz
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 26, 2017

I ended up getting them and installing last night... I haven't run the Adaptiq yet, but so far they sound fine. They are definitely on the quiet side, but make a difference. I think once I get the update to adjust volume, they'll be perfect.

Question, are the cables that connect from the receiver box to the speaker cut to lenght? My room is small, and the cable are extremely long....???

Author Accepted Answer selected by unipablo80

Hi all,

I am glad to see a lively discussion on this subject in the community. I would like to offer some information related to the questions asked.

unipablo80's questions:

1) Is the surround sound of the 300 good enough?

Comparing it to your previous CineMate 130 system, there are some differences in audio. The CineMate 130 soundbar has a driver complement of 5 2" twiddlers and 2 PhaseGuide drivers. The SoundTouch 300 soundbar has a driver complement of 4 oval transducers and 1 round tweeter at the center. The utilization of proprietary QuietPort and PhaseGuide technology is present in both soundbars but has been redesigned in the newer model to improve the room-filling capability and bass production of the soundbar. The SoundTouch 300 is designed to deliver a great home theater performance on its own. However, I would recommend getting the Acoustimass 300 to accompany the SoundTouch 300 soundbar if you are looking for a deeper bass performance similar to what the Acoustimass added to the performance of your CineMate 130. 

2) Does it decode real 5.1 sound from Netflix and other sources?

The SoundTouch 300 system can decode Dolby Digital and DTS audio formats. Netflix usually outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 which is absolutely compatible.

Kirkobangz's questions:

1) Will VI300's add to the experience?

I'm glad you found that the Virtually Invisible 300 rear speakers added to the surround sound performance. As beneficial as PhaseGuide technology is to the surround sound capability of the soundbar, the VI300's definitely boost the effect of the rear channels, especially when decoding 5.1 audio formats from Netflix. Hulu seems to only output stereo audio, but the SoundTouch 300 is designed to get the best surround sound effect possible from a stereo source.

2) Are the cables that connect from the receiver box to the speaker cut to length?

The speaker cable for the VI300 is 20 ft in length. There is currently no option for an alternate length of speaker cable. I appreciate your feedback and will make sure we take the suggestion for alternate length speaker cables into consideration. We are working on making a solution available through adapters.

unipablo80
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 29, 2015

Thank you for all the information!
BlueBrawn
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 5, 2017

All of the information in this discussion helped tremendously. I'm awaiting delivery of my soundbar now and look to get the VI300 for surround sound. I already have two Soundtouch 10's and was hoping to use those for the rear speakers, but found out I cannot... Will there be updates in the future to use the 10's as rear surround speakers??? Can anyone shed light on this??????

Hi BlueBrawn, 

I'm not aware of a timetable for this. If more information becomes available, we will certainly share it with the community. 

Thank you