cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AB71
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Random reset of Soundtouch 20 app - not playing preset Radio stations, clock display disappears, etc

As of yesterday I am having problems connecting to speaker from mobile app, clock display disappears, radio stations do not play, unable to update app.

I found the solution in this community URL below:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/SoundTouch-app-cannot-connect-speaker/m-p/210706#M...

However, switching off/on the speaker brings back the old behaviour, and I need to go through the entire wifi switching process again as mentioned by @Sander_01 .

I think the Soundtouch app is buggy. I shall keep the speaker on for two days continuous to check if any anomalous behaviour comes back!

Any comments, anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AB71
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Re: Random reset of Soundtouch 20 app - not playing preset Radio stations, clock display disappea...

Author Accepted Answer selected by AB71

New development:

1. I had been checking meanwhile the bandwidth I was getting on cable internet connection and it never went above 10-12 Mbps. I had sent in a request for increasing bandwidth as I had been facing issues while viewing streaming video on laptop / TV.

The service provider fixed the bandwidth yesterday night and it went up to 25 Mbps.

2. And - (though it is too early to say) - the clock display came back on, the radio stations started playing on ST20 speaker by itself. I had not changed any configuration parameter either on router or speaker.

3. Just to double check, I rebooted the whole system (modem, router, speaker) again, and this time there was no error - the clock came back on, radio kept playing...all was fine.

(I checked the bandwidth on Ookla using mobile wifi connected to same network, and it was showing 21 Mbps.)

4. I switched off during the night, and back on today morning, all was fine. Bandwidth was at 32 Mbps.

5. Need to watch out for same problem again and if it happens, I will immediately check bandwidth at that time.

So far so good - no conclusions yet, but all working fine as of now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Random reset of Soundtouch 20 app - not playing preset Radio stations, clock display disappea...

Hi AB71,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the connection to your SoundTouch 20 and I would be happy to help with this.

When you notice this happening with your speaker, what does the Wi-Fi indicator light show?

It is possible that there is a setting on your network that could be causing this issue. I'll post a list of the recommended router settings below for you, you can either change these yourself, or if you contact your local support team we may be able to set this up with you. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Recommended router settings for SoundTouch™ compatibility

UPnP - Enable

Multicast - Enable

IGMP - Enable

Wireless Isolation - Disable

IGMP Proxy - Disable

Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N

Stealth mode - Disable

MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the SoundTouch™ system’s MAC address to the allowed devices list

WPS - Disable

Wireless channel - Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended.

Security type WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption.

WMM – Disable.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
AB71
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

I use a D-Link DIR-615 router and have the settings options as follows:

UPnP - Enable -> (no change, was enabled already)

Multicast - Enable -> (could not see the option on any menu)

IGMP - Enable -> (could not see the option on any menu)

Wireless Isolation - Disable -> (no change, was disabled already)

IGMP Proxy - Disable -> (could not see the option on any menu)

Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N -> (no change, was enabled already)

Stealth mode - Disable -> (could not see the option on any menu)

MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the SoundTouch™ system’s MAC address to the allowed devices list -> (MAC address1 as well as address2 added - wifi connects fine, can play music from NAS storage)

WPS - Disable -> (no change, was disabled already)

Wireless channel - Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended.

-> (changed from Auto to current channel 6, wifi working with other devices like TV, Printer, Laptop, fine)

Security type – WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption. -> (no change, was on this config already)

WMM – Disable. -> (could not see the option on any menu)

-----------

Problem persists. Now I am going to check the settings on the Mobile Hotspot and try to spot the differences in configuration from the home wifi. Let's see...

Thanks for taking the time to provide detailed network settings, it may take some more thinking out...

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi AB71,

Thank you for trying that and letting me know.

It would be interesting to know the difference in settings with the mobile hotspot you are using. We usually wouldn't recommend connecting to mobile hotspots, as they can create issues when trying to use the speakers, so it is strange that this is working for you better than the Wi-Fi.

Something that would be a good idea to try, if you haven't already, is a factory reset of the speaker. To do this you would want to press and hold the 1 and volume - buttons together. You will see a countdown on the screen. When this ends, release the buttons and the speaker will reset.

After doing this, reconnect it to your Wi-Fi network and test it, to see if the error persists.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
AB71
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Few more points to note:

1. Wifi indicator remains solid white when Radio stations won't play/app upgrades won't work/clock won't display.

2. The switchover to mobile wifi still working, and switching back to home router wifi subsequently also working.

3. Have done factory reset earlier and yesterday as well, no change in problem sequence/or behaviour.

4. (New find): Switching off/on the modem and router while the speaker is on and working ok - does NOT affect behaviour (i.e. Radio still plays, clock display still shows, etc).

So long as the speaker remains ON after the switchover process in wifi, all remains well. It is only when the speaker is switched off/on that the problem starts, which leads me to think that it isn't anything to do with the router settings at all.

I still have to find out the differences if any, in settings between mobile wifi and router, so I'll update again once I get around to find it out.

Till then...the tested work around process is there.

AB71
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by AB71

New development:

1. I had been checking meanwhile the bandwidth I was getting on cable internet connection and it never went above 10-12 Mbps. I had sent in a request for increasing bandwidth as I had been facing issues while viewing streaming video on laptop / TV.

The service provider fixed the bandwidth yesterday night and it went up to 25 Mbps.

2. And - (though it is too early to say) - the clock display came back on, the radio stations started playing on ST20 speaker by itself. I had not changed any configuration parameter either on router or speaker.

3. Just to double check, I rebooted the whole system (modem, router, speaker) again, and this time there was no error - the clock came back on, radio kept playing...all was fine.

(I checked the bandwidth on Ookla using mobile wifi connected to same network, and it was showing 21 Mbps.)

4. I switched off during the night, and back on today morning, all was fine. Bandwidth was at 32 Mbps.

5. Need to watch out for same problem again and if it happens, I will immediately check bandwidth at that time.

So far so good - no conclusions yet, but all working fine as of now.

View solution in original post