p__8
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Re: SoundTouch 20 stops after a few songs

Hello again,

I have static IP for all my ST systems, allocated from my rooter, associated with each Mac address, but it doesn't change anything. Sorry about that ...

My rooter is a netgear, with a devolo cpl WiFi.

Thank you.

Hi p__8,

Thanks for the info.  Even with the DHCP reservation, you should still extend the lease time on your router to the maximum allowable time.  Can we give this a shot and test it out?

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support

Edgardo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 19, 2017

Extend the lease time on your DHCP server. I used the same approach by telling the router to always assing the same IP to the ST10, but it still would drop connection each time the lease expired.

I had it set to 30 minutes and every 15 minutes the ST10 would disconnect. On the DHCP server log I can see the ST10 asking for a new IP (and getting the same one).

I set the Lease time to 24hs and I only get 2 disconnect a day (for some reason it checks for an IP exactly half of the lease time). 

Best Regards

mstrathmore
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 2, 2016

Hi Edgardo,

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that and come back to you.

Brian from Bose reached out to me yesterday and we had a phonecall during which he made a change to my router (switched WPS off for both of my WiFi Networks) - sadly no improvement. I'm posting the info in case that works for someone else.

It's such a frustrating problem to have! I've had the SoundTouch 20 for more than 2 years and largely it behaves, but it seems that app or firmware updates surface this problem at various points during that time.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hello Edgardo and mstrathmore,

Thank you both for posting. If the troubleshooting mentioned above by my fellow moderators did not resolve the issue, we are completely aware of this DHCP bug. Engineering is currently investigating and working on a fix. We will let the community know as soon as we have more information.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

mstrathmore
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 2, 2016

Hi Joel,

Thanks for posting an update; great to know you folks are working on it.

Please would you post here again when a fix is found as the previous solutions didn't work for me: I cannot change the DHCP lease settings on my particular router (the telco removes that setting from their firmware) and switching off WPS had no impact.

Regards,

Mark.

Highlighted
p__8
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Hello,

Thank you for the update. My Internet provider also removed the possibility to modify the lease time on my router.

I also tried to deactivate IPv6 and switched from private IP to public IP but this also does not change the problem which is clearly still present.

Tell us when you find something.

I also wrote on the Spotify forum about this...

It maybe seems more frequent when I am using a group or play all, but I am not sure at all about this.

p__8
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Hello again,

It seems that the lease time is already 24 hours, and still the problem exists unfortunately.

Bests.

P__8

Edgardo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 19, 2017

if you are willing to collects logs, the logs can be tracked down to the DHCP issue.

How to capture logs

I noticed the DHCP renew on the logs, and then captured the logs on my router which let me figure out the issue... my router is pretty good (Mikrotik) so I'm able to get logs out of it , but the Bose logs are pretty detailed and show you what the speaker is doing all the time.

On the ST-10 I was able to capture them by connecting a Flashdrive, and about 1 minute after it disconnected from the network I access the about menu on the phone app and the logs were written into the flashdrive (its a txt file).

The log has date/time on each line, so you can track it down to the moment it cut off the network. If you see DHCP renew messages in there, then you have the DHCP problem.. you can share the logs and we can troubleshoot from there.

p__8
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Hello,

I think that I have solved my issue, which was is fact most probably not the DHCP issue.

I have two CPL wifi with the same SSID and they were too close, and the ST were probably switching from one wifi to the other, causing the interruptions. I have changed that configuration and the system is now stable. I have to check more to be sure.

My issue was then most probably not the same as the others on this topic.

Thank you again for your attention.

P__8