Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

Rumble

Hi,
Have just purchased a soundtouch 30 and notice a couple of things.

1. No support for Apple Play. Can stream Apple Play via Bluetooth ok. App only shows Spotify and a couple of others I have never heard off.

2. Bought mainly to give good quality background audio in an attempt to sleep without Restavit, and didn't think to check what low volume sounded like in the shop as it sounded like normal excellent bose at normal volume on the showroom.
Playing around with different sounds to help induce sleep - mellow rock, yoga/meditation, rainforest, running water, rain etc via Apple Play I noticed that when dropping the volume right down any bass type sounds get reproduced as a low frequency rumble.
Trying to explain this is going to be a nightmare.
Play a rain track and it's great, nice and clear and so close to the real thing, but the moment there is any far away thunder all I hear in bed, it's enough to wake me up, is this throbbing low freq rumble. When I get up and listen right up close I can hear the rumble of thunder in the background, but the 30 reproduces this awfully as a rumble. Turn the volume up and it disappears.
It does appear to be coming from the bass component in the rear, the big slot.
So, have used the app to turn the bass down to the minimum setting for nil effect.
Filling the cavity does reduce the effect.
So, do I have a faulty unit or am I trying to do something not normally done with a 30?
As the 30 appears to be firmware controlled is it possible to amend the app to guve the user the ability to turn off the bass driver completely, or have it automatically done below a certain volume level?

And sorry for the long post 🙂

Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Rumble

Hi Blahblahblah,

Thanks for writing in!  

The SoundTouch 30 has the deepest bass out of all the all in one sound systems that we offer.  Because of this, it could sound like a rumbling which could be caused by a few things:

• When a low bass note hits, is there anything on the surface that the speaker is sitting on could be rattling?
  • If the speaker is tucked into a corner or the back of the speaker is right up against a wall, this will boundary load the audio which will increase the bass dramatically.  
  • If we can try moving the speaker further away from the wall or a different location, I'd like to see if this is potentially causing the issue.  
  • One more thing to note, if using Spotify Connect, let's make sure there isn't an EQ setup through the Spotify app.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

Sorry for the delay as have been away for work.

Being a bedroom there is obviously limited choices for locations, so yes the rear is about 20cm away from a concrete wall. It is on a glass shelf, but this is similar to the demo model on the showroom floor, plus the rumble is from the speaker as opposed to a rattle. Relocating the speaker here is impossible, it’s a bedroom.

Testing outside on the kitchen bench showed a big improvement. Sitting in front of it at low volumes with the same track didn't produce the same issues, but if you went behind it and listened you could still hear that rumble.

Using Apple Music via Bluetooth as this is not a supported app on the Bose Soundtouch App, and yes have checked to make sure that no 3rd party EQ app running....de-installed the only one I had.

Will experiment tonight on vertical placement and see if having it above or below head placement makes any difference, in the mean time a shirt stuffed into the rear bass outlet does make a big difference.

Cheers

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Blahblahblah,

Thanks for your reply. 20cm is close enough to noticeably increase the bass response, as you may have discovered from your experiments on the kitchen bench. Please let us know how you get on with your experiments in vertical placement.

If you believe the unit to be faulty, please do not hesitate to contact our Technical Support team by telephone. To find the appropriate phone number, select your country from this list and click Contact Us from the menu at the bottom of the page.

Best regards,

Patrick - Community Support