Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2016

SA-4 Amps and Airplay

I inherited two SA-4 amps that I would like to use vs. buying new Sonos connect Amps and I have been playing around with the bose AMP and am finding the ability to sync music difficult - I live in the Apple universe so bummed that it also seems like I cannot connect Itunes radio to these?
So couple questions (hoping) - I had heard the new SA-5 amp does NOT support airplay any longer - is this also true with the SA-4?  
And is there ANY bluetooth capability with the SA-4

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 27, 2016

Re: SA-4 Amps and Airplay

SA-4 supports AirPlay but not Bluetooth.  
https://www.soundtouch.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00P4000000P6bQr

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi thedude, 
JBartlow is correct in that the SA-4 supports Airplay, whereas the SA-5 supports Bluetooth. The support of Bluetooth vs. Airplay won't change with these devices as it is a hardware difference instead of software. I hope this helps clarify. 
Thank you 
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2016

Ok thank you both - whats odd is I see the airplay option and I am able to connect (check mark on the approriate zone) but when I actually hit "play" - it hangs for a sec and then drops the connection.   I have read about the known airplay connectivity issues with the SA-5 - could what I am experiencing be related to that? I don't want to bang my head against the wall trying to fix it if it is known software issue. 
Thanks in advance!
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

To clarify what we said above, the SA-5 amp supports Bluetooth and does not support Airplay. Air Play audio will not play on an SA-5 via direct Wireless means. You would need to hard-wire an AirPort express or similar device to the AUX input on the SA-5 amplifier if you want this functionality.