Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mudrunner
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

SA-5 Can't be added to soundtouch account

I have several SoundTouch devices and all were working fine until yesterday when my SA-5 Amplifier couldn't be found by the app so I removed the device from the app, reset the amp to default and connected to the network again.  Now I can see the SA-5 on my network (connected via Ethernet) but when I try to add it back to the app it gives me and error "Something happened and we couldn't add the speaker to your SoundTouch account. Please try again later"  I have attempted to add the speaker from 2 different phones and 2 different PC's all with the same result.  I have already attempted the manual firmware update and it did not resolve the issue - based on the FW update screen the SA-5 is on version 25.0.0

I am using the "Speaker already connected to network" selection for setup and after finding the device it asks me to name the device, this is where it all stops.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mudrunner
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

Re: SA-5 Can't be added to soundtouch account

Author Accepted Answer selected by Mudrunner

I contacted support via phone and the issue has been resolved.  Although it wasn't overly clear to me or the technical support rep why this worked, here is what we did.

1 - Disconnect the Ethernet connection

2 - Disconnect Power

3 - Hold top button while attaching power (factory reset)

4 - Connected to the device WiFi using my phone (ad-hoc network)

5 - On my phone, open browser and go to 192.0.2.1 (I had to disable my Cell Data to reach this page)

6 - Enter my WiFi settings on web page to configure the SA-5

7 - Connect my phone back to my home WiFi connection

8 - Add device to SoundTouch using "Speaker already connected to network"

9 - Device was located on WiFi network, selected and left name at default (changed it later)

10 - Device now in app, tested functionality, amp works via SoundTouch App

11 - Connected Ethernet to SA-5

12 - Confirmed it was using Ethernet (SoundTouch -> settings -> about -> SA-5 -> Connection Type = Ethernet

13 - Renamed device (SoundTouch -> settings -> speaker settings -> SA-5 -> Speaker Name

14 - Updated this thread in hopes someone else may benefit

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Sam_F

Hey @Mudrunner,

I'm sorry to hear you've had some trouble connecting your SA-5 Amplifier to your SoundTouch app. From what you've posted I can see that you've tried most of the troubleshooting I would've recommended, especially the manual update of the firmware. 

To confirm, did you follow the steps listed HERE under 'Manually updating with a USB cable' to perform the manual update?

If you have successfully updated to firmware version 25.0.0, I'd recommend to factory reset the amplifier and start set up over again from the start. The issue you were running into is usually resolved through the update of the firmware. To factory reset, follow the guidance HERE.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Mudrunner
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

Yes, I followed the upgrade steps you referenced.  I completed the factory reset per your suggestion and I'm still unsuccessful at joining it back to the app.  The Amp does work via my spotify app but using it this way I lose functionality like syncing multiple speakers with the same music so I'd really like to resolve this. 

When I perform the upgrade, it copies the file to the amp and a message tells me the amp will reboot but I don't see any indication of that reboot occurring.  Is there an older version of FW I can downgrade to and then upgrade to 25.0.0 again?   

Mudrunner
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

I went out and purchased a USB A Female to USB Micro Male adapter and attempted the FW update using the alternate method, the entire process from FW update to reboot to solid amber indicator took about 4 minutes, I suspect the system is seeing the new FW as the same version already installed and just skipping the upgrade.  I have logged out of the app on all devices, and then rebooted my phone and tried again with no success.  I have created a new SoundTouch account which had no problem connecting my other 3 devices but the SA-5 Amp gives the same error.

I think downgrading and then upgrading the FW is likely the best thing to try next but I can't locate the previous version of the FW for download anywhere, does anyone have a copy of the version before 25.0.0? such as 24.0.7

Jessie_O

Hi Mudrunner, 

Thank you for supplying this information. 

At this point, I would recommend reaching out to your local technical support team for assistance. You can do this by clicking the LINK HERE, select your country and scroll down to 'Contact Us'. One of our team will be more than happy to help! 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out again!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Mudrunner
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by Mudrunner

I contacted support via phone and the issue has been resolved.  Although it wasn't overly clear to me or the technical support rep why this worked, here is what we did.

1 - Disconnect the Ethernet connection

2 - Disconnect Power

3 - Hold top button while attaching power (factory reset)

4 - Connected to the device WiFi using my phone (ad-hoc network)

5 - On my phone, open browser and go to 192.0.2.1 (I had to disable my Cell Data to reach this page)

6 - Enter my WiFi settings on web page to configure the SA-5

7 - Connect my phone back to my home WiFi connection

8 - Add device to SoundTouch using "Speaker already connected to network"

9 - Device was located on WiFi network, selected and left name at default (changed it later)

10 - Device now in app, tested functionality, amp works via SoundTouch App

11 - Connected Ethernet to SA-5

12 - Confirmed it was using Ethernet (SoundTouch -> settings -> about -> SA-5 -> Connection Type = Ethernet

13 - Renamed device (SoundTouch -> settings -> speaker settings -> SA-5 -> Speaker Name

14 - Updated this thread in hopes someone else may benefit

View solution in original post

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi Mudrunner,

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear your SA-5 is back up and running again!

Thanks as well for posting a step-by-step guide to what you did as I'm sure this will be helpful for other users as well!