Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

SA-5 & AirPlay 2

I`m planning to extend my ST systems with SA -5 amplifier. However is there information about support for this system & AirPlay 2. 

Thx

23 REPLIES 23
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: SA-5 & AirPlay 2

Hi Silla,

Thanks for the question.  Did you have specific questions about the SA-5?  It will work via Play All with your other SoundTouch systems, provided they are all on the same SoundTouch account.

As well, Airplay 2 is not yet available.  We do anticipate that it will be available for select SoundTouch systems in the near future.  For future updates, please follow THIS thread.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

Dear Brandon,

Thx for your answer, the thread confirms that Airplay 2 will be supported for selected ST systems. But before I purchase an SA-5 system, I would like to know if the amplifier is one of these selected ST systems? Hope you can clarify,

Best Regards,

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

Yes, the SA-5 will be.  Any SoundTouch system with Bluetooth functionality will receive AirPlay 2 functionality.

Best,

Brandon

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

So Soundtouch Series I & II won't get an Airplay 2 update? Earlier this year it was told that even the old ones get the Update with Airplay 2! What is right?

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Tohuwabohu,

That is correct.  The earlier SoundTouch systems with Airplay will not be able to accept an update for Airplay 2.

Best,

Brandon

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Why has this been changed? 

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

Engineering clarified later on what systems would be able to utilize Airplay 2.

Best,

Brandon

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

I dont know if i am right here? Will apple music be available even on series 1 & 2? Or even only from series 3 above? Thx
Participant
Registered since

May 19, 2018

I wonder why Apple manages to retrofit the old Airport with AirPlay 2, but with Bose it's not possible to upgrade the old Soundtouch devices to AirPlay 2. You might also think that Bose does not want it. -.-
I also find it a great pity that Bose is not really transparent to his customers as far as new features are concerned, such as Apple Music.