Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: ST-10 no longer connects to wireless after 17.0.8 upgrade

Hi ddeitrich01,

Thanks for responding. I totally understand your reservation to lengthen the time. I'd like to escalate this up. Do you have a micro USB adapter so you could capture system logs when this is happening? If you don't, what country are you located in? Please send us your address via private message to the community_admin account so we can send you an adapter to capture logs. Ideally we'd like to get both app and system logs using THIS procedure. You can upload them HERE. Please let us know. 

Also, to help clarify the renewal request at 50% of the specified time there's a great article HERE. This was pulled from the renewing section at the bottom of the page:

"IP addressing information is leased to a client, and the client is responsible for renewing the lease. By default, DHCP clients try to renew their lease when 50 percent of the lease time has expired. To renew its lease, a DHCP client sends a DHCPRequest message to the DHCP server from which it originally obtained the lease."

I've also seen it where the first time, it will hit the full duration while subsequent times it will be halved. I still think there's something else going on here and want to escalate this, but a request at half of the duration, as I understand it, is not uncommon. 

Hi zelig, 

Can you elaborate a little further as to what they said the issue was, specifically? Did they advise of a work-around? Do you recall the name of the person you spoke to? Any additional details on this would be very helpful. Please let us know. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi Brent_B, I simply called the italian support number +39 02 3206 0600 that you can find at this link: https://www.bose.it/it_it/contact_us.html

I explained that after the last update 17.0.8 my st-10 disconnect from the wify frequently and at that point the person answering the call said that they have received a lot of calls about this issue and they are about releasing an update of both st-10 and app software. I don't know the name of the person.

Isn't it true? Do somebody knows if there's a new sw release planned in the next days?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi zelig, 

Brilliant. Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll follow up with the team and see if I can get some clarification from them as to what they were referring to. I can confirm that there is no update scheduled in the next few days. If your issue is DHCP related, I would assume that a round of resets would fix it, albeit only until the lease expires again. How long did you leave the system and router unplugged for? How frequently does the system disconnect? Can you check what your DHCP lease time is set to in your router? If we can get your system reconnected, I'd like to see if extending the duration helps to alleviate the issue. Can you try to go through the setup process again, extend the lease time, and see if it helps? Please let us know. 

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi Brent_B,

Huh, interesting, I did not know that about DHCP.  Thanks for the reference link!

I do have the micro USB adapter, so I'll try to get the logs and send them to you in the next day or two.

Appreciate the reply!

- Dave

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Awesome! Yea, keep me posted. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi Brent_B, I called again italian support and spoked with Mario: he also said again that several customers are suffering the same problem and confirmed me that they are waiting for a new release in the next days, probably next week, or an alternate solution given by Bose's technician (?). He suggest to wait for the new release or call again next week to have some news.

Regarding your questions: yes, it seems to be DHCP related: I tried to unplug both router and ST-10 for a few minutes, then I started the router and after a few minutes the ST-10. Then I went to work and when I came back (after a few hours) I saw the first led blinking as it was disconnected by the network. My router is provided by my internet vendor, so I can't act as an administrator, but I can see that the lease is provide given "indefinetly". I noticed also something strange: on my router I saw a lease for the ip 192.168.1.71 but the app on my Iphone said that the ip for the ST10 was 192.168.1.82... it seems that ST10 send multiple request for a lease and that cause "confusion" with the router. The disconnection happens frequently but not constantly, sometimes after minutes, sometimes after a few hours.

I can reconnect my system for sometime and try to launch setup process again: can you provide me the correct steps to follow? I tried pressing volume and 1, but I don't know if you intend this way. Can I extend the lease time on the ST-10?

Regards

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi all, here's one possible workaround for the DHCP issue.  If your router supports DHCP Reservations (static IPs for specific MAC addresses) and you assign an IP to each ST-10 then that seems to keep everything happy.  It's been 3 days since I've done that and I've had no issues with my ST-10 speakers.  Unfortunately you need to find the MAC address of your ST-10 speaker which can be tricky; I was able to get them from my router's logs but it looks like you can also use the app (link).

Hope this helps.  I haven't had time to get the logs yet from my speakers; will try to do so this weekend.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi ddeitrich01, 

Thank you for responding. Setting an IP reservation for the systems will definitely help. That's great to hear that it seems to be working normally again. I still have your issue escalated. When I hear back from the team on this issue, I'll update the thread. Keep running with the static IPs and see if the systems keep working normally. No worries on the logs, we'll take them when you can get them. And yes, using the app may be the easiest way to get the MAC address. 

Hi zelig, 

Thank you for clarifying. To reconnect, I'd use THESE steps. What's the make and model of your router? Just to double clarify, there's no way to lengthen the DHCP time, correct? Is there a way to set a static IP like ddeitrich01 mentioned? If you call your ISP, would they be able to set a Static IP for your speaker to see if it helps? If this indeed related to the same thing, setting a static address should correct it. There's unfortunately no way to do this from within the SoundTouch app or on the speaker itself. It would need to happen in the router. 

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi Brent_B,

Okay, I think I got some good (?) data for you.  Here's what happened:

- Fri 9:00 pm

- powered off all 3 ST-10 speakers

- removed DHCP reservations from router

- rebooted router (to clear dhcp leases)

- powered on ST-10 speakers, all 3 came online

- Sat 9:00 am

- all three speakers were blinking white

- Sat 9:30 am

- rebooted router, did NOT reboot speakers

- speakers recovered right away

- used SoundTouch iOS App to save log files to USB drive

I uploaded the following files to your dropbox account:

bedroom_logread_2017-12-16-09-41-10.txt

kitchen_logread-2017-12-16-09-40-27.txt

kitchen_logread-2017-12-16-09-41-11.txt

dhcp_bose_st10_20171216.pcap

I wasn't aware that the log files only kept the last 10 minutes of logs.  Hopefully there's enough data there to be useful.  The pcap file has all DHCP packets for the entire length of the test, and shows exactly when the speakers lost contact with the network.

Hope this helps!

- Dave

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi Brent_B: the router is a Technicolor MediaAccess TG788vn v2. I confirm I can't lenghten the dhcp time on my router, but if I look at the devices I see an infinite lease given at the ST-10:

SoundTouch-10              

Information

Type:    Generic Device

Connected To:  WLAN (Wireless)

Allowed on WLAN:         Yes

Addressing

Physical Address:            50:65:83:ff:47:76

IP Address Assignment:               DHCP

IPV4 Address:   192.168.1.71

IPV6 Address:   ::

Always use the same IP address:            Yes

DHCP Lease Time:           Infinite

Now if I look on the app I see a strange thing, as the IP showing on the info is 192.168.1.82 not the one indicated on the router! No other devices on the router are listed as 192.168.1.82 and I thing I don't have other devices on the net acting as DHCP server.

After a while the ST-10 disconnect and reconnect only if I delete the lease on the router. It seems a problem with the dhcp request from the st-10