Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

ST-10 no longer connects to wireless after 17.0.8 upgrade

Hi.  I have a Soundtouch network with 3 ST-10, 1 ST-20 and 1 SA-5 speakers.  Things were working well until I upgraded all the speakers to 17.0.8 yesterday.  Now my 3 ST-10 units can't seem to connect to my wifi network anymore.  The ST-20 and SA-5 are working fine, but they're connected via ethernet so I'm not sure that's a fair test.  Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Powered everything off (including the router) for 30+ seconds and then powered up each device one a time.

2. Held down Vol - and 2 to put the speaker into initial wireless mode, then connected to the "Bose <mac>" wifi network and re-entered wifi settings

3. Held down Vol - and 1 to reset the speaker to factory defaults and then attempt to reconfigure from scratch

In all cases the speaker sees my home network, but fails to connect either with "connection timed out" or "connection failed please re-enter key".

Here are the specs for my wireless nework:

Router: Asus RT-AC68U

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.382_18881

Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal

WPA Encryption: AES

WPA-PSK key: [18-character passphrase]

All Bose Speakers are running Software Version 17.0.8.  I'm using iOS App version 15.120.23 to control the speakers.

Interestingly, if I leave one of the ST-10 speakers alone for a while it will sometimes successfully connect to the wifi network.  However, the connection doesn't last long and the wifi status light goes back to blinking white.

I'll re-emphasize that the ONLY thing that changed was upgrading the speakers to 17.0.8.  I also have lots of other devices connected to the wireless network that are still working fine.

What additional information can I provide to assist with troubleshooting?  Alternatively, is there a way I can downgrade the ST-10 speakers to a previous software version?  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Re: ST-10 no longer connects to wireless after 17.0.8 upgrade

The same for me with ST-10 after the last upgrade... lost wifi connection after a few minutes continuosly

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi.  I have some more information that's probably relevant.  Later on Saturday I had a PC that was unable to connect to the Internet.  I eventually figured out that the problem was that my broadband router (TP-Link TL-ER6020) wasn't handing out IPs via DHCP anymore because something was grabbing up all the DHCP leases.  When I rebooted the router to free up the leases all three ST-10 speakers immediately came online.  So it appears that the problem is NOT that the speakers can't connect to the wifi network, but that they can't get a valid IP address after connecting.

A few hours later (as the leases expired) the same problem reoccurred and the ST-10 speakers went offline.  I then left the ST-10s powered off and something is still grabbing up all the leases, so it looks like the ST-10s aren't causing the problem.  Unfortunately TP-Link routers don't log the mac address of devices requesting leases (Grr) so I'll probably have to set up a port monitor to figure out what the heck is going on.

So I apologize for initially blaming your speakers, although your diagnostic messages are somewhat misleading.  I'll update this thread as soon as I figure out what's really causing the problem.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi ddeitrich01, 

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. It's good that you've isolated the issue with the router. Can you try to lengthen the DHCP lease time and see if that helps? Are there any updates available for the TP-Link?

Hi zelig, 

Can you check the signal strength going to your speaker using this procedure:

In the SoundTouch app, choose the menu icon in the upper left
Choose "Settings" -> About"
Select the desired system to view that system's information. Signal strength is listed as "RSSI Signal Strength"

If the system is registering as "poor" or "fair" the steps in THIS article can help. 

Can you also try to unplug both your system and router from power for 30 seconds and re-test? Please let us know. 

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi Brent_B,

I upgraded the TP-Link to the latest firmware (2015) but that didn't help.  I don't really want to lengthen the DHCP lease time because that just increases the time to recovery when the DHCP pool gets exhausted.  Rebooting the router is painful and I'd rather not do it if it can be avoided.

I'm still not sure which device is eating up all the leases, but I did observe something odd; the ST-10 speakers request new DHCP leases hourly, even though the lease time is set to 120 minutes.  And once the pool is exhausted the speakers start sending out requests every 2-3 seconds.  I have a libpcap capture of this I can provide if it would be helpful.

In the meantime I'm assigning DHCP reservations to each speaker to see if that calms things down.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Hi ddeitrich01,

Usually the lease time is 24 hours, why is yours set to 120 minutes? Maybe that is why some devices in your network are playing crazy ...

Cheers,

Central

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

OMG !!! Are you able to fix this problem?

You know what? You should try to restart your ***** system, do new update and fix this problem, because this is absolutly ****.

I dont understand how you can only write: try to restart this and this and now try this. Do you understand than this is problem with new update? So can you be so gentle to fix it?

I even dont hope you will reply, asap I would like to send ST 10 back to vendor.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi CentralBK,

I think 120 minutes is the default for this particular TP-Link router.  It's been that way for years and hasn't caused me any issues before now.  It shouldn't really matter, though; if I specify a lease time of 120 minutes and the ST-10 requests a new lease after 60 minutes then that's an issue with the ST-10, not the router.

I'm happy to share my pcaps with you for further analysis.  Just let me know where to send them.

- Dave

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Hi Brent_B: the signal streght is "great" (Ottimo in italian), the maximum one and yes, I tried to unplug st-10 and router and restart both with no results. Before the last upgrade (17.0.8) it worked well and I never had wifi disconnections. Also no disconnections with other devices: I have two notebooks, four smartphone, a printer and a wifi receveir that works well.

The router I'm using is a Technicolor MediaAccess TG788vn v2 provided by Fastweb, my internet service.

Please note that this never happen just the day before the last upgrade!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2017

Just to let everybody know: today I called  italian Bose support and they confirmed that the last release 17.0.8 contains a bug that cause frequently disconnection  from wifi network. A new realese that will correct the bug will be delivered in the next days, probably before this week.

My two cents...

Just a question to the moderators: why you didn't know this kind of problem? I'm expecting that a bug like this should be spread in this forum to all the Bose users in a pinned post, don't you think?