matesc
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

ST 300 BT codec

Dear Bose team,

why does ST300 support only SBC via Bluetooth? Is there a plan to implement support for AAC codec for BT? in my opinion, the sound sounds better via AUX IN than with Bluetooth, so there might be some sort of compression when playing standard AAC songs via BT, right? Wouldn't it be in your interest to make the transfer codec better for a better sound quality?

Other than that, there might be Apple music and airplay support coming, at least according to rumors, but I would also prefere to have a Chromecast Audio option as well.
In any case, I don't use Spotify and use Android for playing songs, so that's why I am asking.

Keep up the good work and thank you in advance for any information to my questions.

Best regards
Matej
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: ST 300 BT codec

Hello Matej! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

The SoundTouch 300 does support the AAC codec. The song file itself is compressed using AAC and then Bluetooth compresses it again for transmission. If you hear an improvement in sound quality via Aux it is for this reason. A wired connection will always sound better.

I can confirm that AirPlay 2 will be coming in 2019 for the SoundTouch 300. I am not able to speak to the future availability of Chromecast audio, but would be happy to pass your request to our development teams. 

Thanks for your encouragement, we'll be here should have additional questions in the future. Have a great day! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

matesc
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Hello,

thank you for your answer. I am looking forward to the upcoming new features!

Ad SBC vs AAC: my question is rather why there is this second compression via Bluetooth? Why SBC? Wouldn't it be much better to stream via AAC BT codec?
Please clarify.

In my understanding, e.g. the iTunes plus songs don't loose that much of the audio quality by the aac/m4a compression. Therefore I am afraid, the second compression for SBC makes the sound poorer and there is a simple solution - using aac for BT.
After all, Bose is familiar with this codec on BT: Bose sport wireless and QC2, both of this products use this codec for BT transfer.

Thank you in advance
Best
Matej

Hi Matej,

Thanks for the question.

The reason SBC is used is because of compatibility for the largest amount of devices.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support