Vkan
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2020

ST 300 compatibility with ST20

Hi, I have been told that a ST 300 can connect to ST 20 using Sound Touch app using my wireless network. Since I have a ST20 I am looking to buy and add ST300 to it. 
Few questions;
1) can I stream audio from my phone to either device or both at the same time?
2) Also can this be done when playing the tv through ST300?
3) Can I have the TV sound output come through both ST300 and ST20, since they are connected through the SoundTouch App?
 4) Further, if the setup works then I am also keen to buy Bass module 700 and connect to ST300 to give it a complete home theatre setup. Are they compatible? And then can I continue to use ST20 paired with ST300 and Bass Module 700 while watching TV. I am trying to achieve and use the ST20 as an additional speaker/ rear central for additional surround sound.

If the above setup works then kindly advise as I am looking to purchase both SoundTouch 300 and Bass module 700 next week 9th June 2020.

Thanks in advance for your help

4 REPLIES

DF
3 REPLIES 3
Comedy79
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Re: ST 300 compatibility with ST20

I might be able to help here.

1 - Yes, I have been able to do this via running the "minim server" via the Bose App, streaming music from my NAS. You group the speakers in the Bose app to play together.

I have also been able to use the "HIFi Cast" and "mconnectlite" apps on my phone to stream music from my NAS and on these apps you can amend the source of the file, so just select to run from your phone. 

EDIT - It doesn't appear that you can group the speakers in the apps though to play from your phone. There may be one out there where you can?

2 - Yes, you can do this, I have the radio coming through both right now.

3 - Yes as in 2, but you might need to switch off the Video Sync in the group settings in the Bose App, else the ST20 will have a delay from the ST300 when playing sound via the TV.  I had this issue, but I have my ST300 hard wired and the ST20 running via WiFi, which I believe is the cause of this issue? Having both on WiFi might alleviate this issue?

4 - I have read of others running the ST300 with the 700 Base module. I am actually looking to get it myself, whenever it is on special next.  I see no reason why there would therefore be an issue with adding it to the "Group" in the Bose App?

Hope that helps and good luck!

Cheers

David

Vkan
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2020

Hi David,

thanks for for your response. I believe for (3) audio sync is not a challenge but what I am trying to achieve is a video sync. To play the sound through both ST 300 and ST20 and ensuing their is no lag between video and sound. 

I am assuming in a different scenario the Bose rear speakers are also connected wirelessly to ST 300 but in that case their are no audio issues. Wonder why can’t ST20 connected the same way to ST300?

(4) i have read few posts and it does say St300 is compatible with Bass 700. The challenge remains the same how to use my existing ST20 as a rear speaker for a movie without audio getting out of sync? 

Thanks,

Comedy79
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Hi Vkan,

When I mentioned Video Sync, that is the heading on the Bose App, I had to select to sync the Audio playing to the ST300 and ST20, alas it does create a delay between the image on the TV and the speakers in the group.  If you have Video Sync switched on, the ST300 is in sync, but the ST20 will have a 1 or 2 second delay.  I haven't tested to see if there would be an issue with syncing if everything is running via either WiFi or wired? As I say, mine are a combination of wired and WiFi.

EDIT - To get to this setting, go to the SoundTouch app, navigate to Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings, then select the desired system. On the Speaker Details screen, choose "Group Settings". Use the toggle to the right of "Video Sync" to turn the feature on or off. 

I would assume that the Bass module and rear surround speakers do not suffer from the same issue (else the whole system would be pointless), as they have to run via WiFi. I fear if it's not my WiFi issue I mention above, the issue of Video Sync is probably going to scupper your idea of using the ST20 as the rear speaker?

I hope the Bass 700 works out, did you get a good price on it?  I am still hoping to find it for half price as I have seen some lucky people did on Amazon a few months back...

Good luck with the issue and it would be interesting to know if you manage to get it to work in the end and how you did it, as I don't have any plans to get the rear speakers and could use my ST30 as a rear 🙂

EDIT - I have been doing some research, the BASS700 operates on a different App to the ST systems and is connected via the ST300 remote.  That said, in theory if you group the ST300 with other ST devices and the BASS700 is already linked to the ST300, surely the BASS700 would kick in? I'd be interested to know if you therefore included the ST300 in your "ST Group" for playing the Radio or using AirPlay 2, would the music not utilise the BASS700 too? But that this would not work by just trying to group it with other ST's, as the App won't find the BASS700 on it's own?  I think this is right, but perhaps someone from Bose can confirm my understanding?

Cheers

David