Highlighted
BrentonSpear
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 20, 2017

ST20 won't play internet radio after 15.0.20 update

Hi All,

I have had a ST20 for around 18 months and for the most part it has worked well. I use it to listen to local internet radio.

Yesterday I updated the ST20 to firmware 15.0.20 and the iPhone app to the latest version.

I then did a factory reset and removed it from the wireless network. I then added it back to the wireless network. It has always connected on 2G wifi (5g wifi is also available).

I have a unifi AP-Pro AP that offers 2G and 5g wifi on the same SSID name. I have 15 devices in the house using this successfully.

The unit will now not continuously play the radio stations such as KIIS 101.1 or Gold 104.3.

It will show the station name on the ST20 screen and start playing and then after 2-5 seconds go quiet and sometimes start playing sound but then will cut out again. Sometimes it won't play sound at all.

I have tried a number of other radio stations and they do the same thing. One radio station, Fox FM 101.9 in Melbourne will continue to play normally.

The unit reports "good" wifi reception and I can see on my unifi AP that it has full strength and 54mb throughput.

Is there a way to force the unit onto 5g?

I changed my 2G channel from 1 to 6 but it didn't help.

Can someone provide some help on this?

Can I downgrade the firmware to the previous version?

Thanks,

Brenton

33 REPLIES 33
BrentonSpear
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 20, 2017

Re: ST20 won't play internet radio after 15.0.20 update

I have done further testing.

I split my network to have the 2G as a separate SSID from the 5G network. Still the same issue.

I then tested with the station Fox FM 101.9 and this works perfectly.

Then I tested with KIIS FM 101.1 and I have the constant dropout issue.

How can this be?

Can someone from Bose help me out?
mbmaron
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 22, 2017

I've got the same problem.  I have Soundtouch 10 and been listening to Gold 104.3 until recently when it started cuting in and out. I've resorted to using Iheartradio via Bluetooth.  Hopefully Bose can sort this out.

BrentonSpear
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 20, 2017

So Bose, what's the answer to this problem?

I paid a lot of money for your quality product but it now doesn't work!!

Hi BrentonSpear and mbmaron,

I'm sorry to hear that you are both experiencing this similar issue. @BrentonSpear, thank you for providing the details of the great troubleshooting steps you've already performed. This is very helpful. To confirm, it sounds like everything is working for the most part, except for that one internet radio station, correct?

The following applies for both of you: 

Is this radio station currently set as a preset? If so, could you please try overriding the preset with something else, and then try re-adding the station as a preset? Let me know if this changes anything. 

Setting preset instructions can be found HERE

Thank you,

Brian

mbmaron
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 22, 2017

Hi Brian, when I first select the station via the preselect, it plays for about 30 sec and then stops. I tried you suggestion and saved another station on that preselect and it plays continuously without problem. I then went back to internet radio and selected Gold 104.3 and it won't play at all. After a little while an error shows on the app - That internet radio station can't play at the moment, please try again later, error 1011. The same happens with station KIIS 101.1. Interestingly both radio stations belong to the same broadcaster.
BrentonSpear
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 20, 2017

Hi ,

I selected kiis fm 101.1 from the App and it said station unavailable.

I then selected preset 6 where this station was and it played but still had the dropout issue.

I then pressed and held down preset 2 to set this station to preset 2 but I still have the dropout issue.

I have another non-Bose digital radio playing the station right now so the station seems to be ok.

It is worth noting that I have an ST20 version 1 that only supports 2G.

What next?
BrentonSpear
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 20, 2017

I also have the same issue now with gold 104.3.

It starts playing and then drops out after 15 seconds and then comes back after 10 seconds.
JFormica
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 22, 2017

Hi,

I am having the same issue.  I am pretty much unable to listen to Kiis FM or 104.3 Gold FM at all at the moment.

Not sure if it is as a result of the latest firmware update, or seperate to this.  I know that it has worked fine for almost a year and now it is not working.

I have tested via vTuner, and it seems that there are issues playing the stream directly from their website as well?  Kiis FM from another state works fine...on both the ST and vTuner. (Kiis 106.5)

101.1 Kiis FM

vTuner URL: http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/func/dynampls.asp?link=1&id=8442

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://icecast.arn.com.au/1011.aac'. Check the log for details.

104.3 Gold FM

vTuner URL: http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/func/dynampls.asp?link=1&id=8292

VLC Test:

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://icecast.arn.com.au/1043.mp3'. Check the log for details.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the additional details. This is very helpful. I've just tested the two reported stations in-house using a SoundTouch 20 series I and the SoundTouch App on both an iOS device and Android device. Both stations seemed to work just fine on my end. I also tried the direct links that @JFormica shared, and all seemed to work well. 

Could you all please do a quick reboot on your SoundTouch devices and the device that is using the SoundTouch App. Then, retest these stations. Also, try resetting any presets again if necessary. My guess is that the stations may have temporarily been down on vTuner. But, if you are all still experiencing issues, I'd certainly like to investigate this further. 

Best regards,

Brian